Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Wall mount or free standing

BobAlu
BobAlu Member Posts: 18
I'm thinking of replacing my oil fired boiler over to gas. I see all these new mod/con boilers out there and I notice that there are plenty of wall mounted units in the bunch. Is there any advantage or disadvantage to either type other than the fact of getting it out of the way? Any pointers as to where I should begin to find a contractor that really knows these boilers here on Long Island (as I've seen here on The Wall the installer is just as important as the unit itself). I figure that if I make the change over, I might as well go whole hog and get the latest there is out there. Any tips from you pros out there would sure be appreciated! My ErgoMax indirect that I learned about here on The Wall is still going strong at about 10 years now! Thanks!

Bob

Comments

• Jean-David Beyer
    Jean-David Beyer Member Posts: 2,666
    Many can be either.

I have a Weil-McLain Ultra 3. It can be wall mounted or just placed on the floor. I suppose the reason to pick one over the other is mainly one of space. There are two kinds of space.

If you want to preserve floor space, you can put it on the wall. If you do not have enough space above the boiler, you pretty much need to put it on the wall.

One reason not to mount it on the wall, for me, would be that the wall would act as a sounding board, conveying the sound of the boiler and circulators into the house, partly into my bedroom. I suppose it, and all the near-boiler piping, could be mounted on a suitable plywood panel and had that bolted to the wall (two by fours) with suitable vibration-isolating mounts. But putitng it on the floor was easier.

Mine is on the floor in my garage. I have read that it must be 18 inches above the floor according to the plumbing code. My (former) contractor said that was not required because the combustion air comes from outside, and the exhaust goes there. And the intake pipe inside the sealed box is 18 inches above the floor. Well, maybe. The inspector had no problem with it. My old oil burner was right on the floor too. That boiler had no pressure relief valve, no low water cutoff, ... . It is amazing what is allowed around here.
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,612
    It depends on your

particular arrangement as to the availability of wall space on the outer wall and the proper venting of a wall hung unit to outdoors. There are many good units and that with a good contractor will make all the difference in the world. Check the "Find a Contractor" area here and see who is in your area.
  • Jack
    Jack Member Posts: 1,047
    It wasn't the boiler

but I went to a house last spring here in MA. As I went down the basement bulkhead the homeowner met me in his waders standing in about 3' of water in his basement. Washer/dryer, furnace, etc were shot but the Rinnai tankless was still making hot water as it was about 5' off the floor.

How is the buildings water history.
This discussion has been closed.