Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

where the water returns into a steam boiler

Options
I think i may have an issue with where the water returns into a steam boiler. although everything seems to be working fine. I am concerned about the flow of the return water. I have a crown jamacia steam boiler I had to move it to the coal shoot to accommodate a new b vent for the old chimney was on it way out. I kept most of the pipes attached to the furnace and used rollers to move it however the pipes did move. the water return wraps around the back to the right side of the furnace. My question is should the pipe be sloping downward towards the return or should it be level all the way around. If a pic will help I can provide one. Right now it is a half a bubble sloped upwards away from the return which i can fix i just need to know how far i have to go.

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,324
    Options
    Slope

Water should be able to return to the boiler, or to a drain which you can open (to clean out the crud, should you ever need to).  So... if there is no separate drain, it should slope towards the boiler.  Doesn't have to be much.

You are going to check everything for leaks, aren't you?!
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • bennythepitbull
    bennythepitbull Member Posts: 37
    Options
    check for leaks yes

Thanks for the help and yes I have fired this puppy up and there is no leaks, even with the thing sloped back wards. I seem to have an odd set up when I compare what I have vs what I see in others. I am going to post some pics for advise when i get home. thanks again
This discussion has been closed.