Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Does NFPA 54...

kcopp
kcopp Member Posts: 4,419
allow an Oil boiler to share a flue w/ a atmospheric gas water heater? I was pretty sure it was ok if the water heater was after the boiler.... ty,kpc

Comments

• Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,612
    Yes they can be into

the same flue as long as the water heater is installed above the oil.
  • kcopp
    Thanks Tim...

You 'da man. Do you happen to know the chapter and verse? ty, kpc
  • Tim McElwain
    I do not have the

latest code in my home office it is at the training center. This is from NFPA 54 2002 and I do not think it has changed much other than perhaps the numbers. I will double check the new code tomorrow.

10.5.5 Chimney Serving Equipment Burning Other Fuels.

10.5.5.1 Gas utilization equipment shall not be connected to a chimney flue serving a separate appliance designed to burn solid fuel.

10.5.5.2 Where one chimney serves gas utilization equipment and equipment burning liquid fuel, the equipment shall be connected through separate openings or shall be connected through a single opening where joined by a suitable fitting located as close as practical to the chimney. Where two or more openings are provided into one chimney flue, they shall be at different levels. Where the gas utilization equipment is automatically controlled, it shall be equipped with a safety shutoff device.

10.5.5.3* A listed combination gas- and solid fuel-burning appliance connected to a single chimney flue shall be equipped with a manual reset device to shut off gas to the main burner in the event of sustained backdraft or flue gas spillage. The chimney flue shall be sized to properly vent the appliance.

A.10.5.5.3 Reference can also be made to the chapter on chimney, gas vent, and fireplace systems of the ASHRAE Handbook-HVAC Systems and Equipment.

10.5.5.4 A single chimney flue serving a listed combination gas- and oil-burning appliance shall be sized to properly vent the appliance.
  • Tim McElwain
    edited September 2010
    NFPA 54 - 2009

As I suspected the numbers have changed.

12.6.5 Chimney Serving Appliances Burning Other Fuels. 12.6.5.1 An appliance shall not be connected to a chimney flue serving a separate appliance designed to burn solid fuel.

12.6.5.2 Where one chimney serves gas appliances and liquid fuel-burning appliances, the appliances shall be connected through separate openings or shall be connected through a single opening where joined by a suitable fitting located as close as practical to the chimney. Where two or more openings are provided into one chimney flue, they shall be at different levels. Where the gas appliance is automatically controlled, it shall be equipped with a safety shutoff device.

12.6.5.3* A listed combination gas- and solid fuel-burning ap­pliance connected to a single chimney flue shall be equipped with a manual reset device to shut off gas to the main burner in the event of sustained backdraft or flue gas spillage. The chimney flue shall be sized to properly vent the appliance.

12.6.5.4 A single chimney flue serving a listed combination gas- and oil-burning appliance shall be sized to properly vent the appliance.

12.6.6 Support of Chimneys. All portions of chimneys shall be supported for the design and weight of the materials em­ployed. Listed factory-built chimneys shall be supported and spaced in accordance with the manufacturer's installation in­structions.

12.6.7 Cleanouts. Where a chimney that formerly carried flue products from liquid or solid fuel-burning appliances is used with an appliance using fuel gas, an accessible c1eanout shall be provided. The cleanout shall have a tight-fitting cover and be installed so its upper edge is at least 6 in. (I50 mm) below the lower edge of the lowest chimney inlet opening.

12.6.8 Space Surrounding Lining or Vent.

12.6.8.1 The remaining space surrounding a chimney liner, gas vent, special gas vent, or plastic piping installed within a masonry chimney shall not be used to vent another appliance.

Ext:ejJtion: The insertion of another liner or vent within tIll: chimnlY as jJrovided in this code and the liner or vent manuj'rutwrr \ instrurlions.

12.6.8.2 The remaining space surrounding a chimney liner, gas vent, special gas vent, or plastic piping installed within a masonry, metal, or factory-built chimney flue shall not be used to supply combustion air.

Exception: Direct vent appliances designedjiJ'r installatwn in a solid juel-burning jireplacI! where installed in IU'cordanl'e with the manu­facturer's installation instructions.
  • kcopp
    Thanks again Tim....

That is very helpful
This discussion has been closed.