Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

New direct vent gas boiler reccommendations

Options
Hello!

I need to replace my existing gas boiler and gas water heater and would like to go with a direct-vent model. This house, a hi-ranch used to heat with oil and had a stainless steel class A chimney running up from the utility room, through the kitchen (boxed in) and then the roof.

Years ago a gas conversion was done, and this chimney was re-used. I would like to renovate the kitchen, and the real estate this flue box-out requires, along with an unneeded hall closet is really going to open up a world of options in the new kitchen if I can free it up.

So, I'm looking for reccommendations on a good, dependable direct-vent boiler, and advise as to whether it's more advantageous to use an indirect hot water storage type unit, or go with an entirely separate direc-vent style water heater as well.

Also... I believe town plumbing codes will not allow the direct vent exhaust to be located within 10' of an operable door or window. Unfortunately, there would be a door to the utility room, a door to the 1st floor den within 10' of the utility room's exterior wall. Also, the 2nd floor bathroom and kitchen windows are both within 10' of where a direct-vent exhaust would go. I'm guessing these vents could be PVC piped up the exterior wall of the house, through the soffit, into the attic and then travel up the underside of the roof to an appropriate distance, penetrate the roof and intake / exhaust there? (Sort of like a plumbing vent stack)

Comments

• Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,621
    edited September 2010
    Options
    There are a lot

of very good Mod/Con side wall vented boilers on the market. I am sure all the techs here will chime in and tell you about there particular choice. Getting a good contractor is probably the most important thing. It is a good idea to have a heat loss done so you can accurately size the new boiler.

I am surprised that your local code calls for 10 foot separation from doors and openings. Most National codes call for 4 feet from any windows, door and openings.

An alternative is that many of the new Mod/Cons allow venting through a chase to the roof. In the process of your remodel you could plan that into the design.
  • bob eck
    bob eck Member Posts: 930
    Options
    new boiler

Look at using the Triangle Tube Prestige excellence or Prestige Solo series 95% AFUE nat gas or lp gas condensing boiler.

They are vented with 3" or 4" PVC pipe and fittings and you can vent sidewall or vertical and pull fresh air from another pressure zone (exhaust and fresh air inlet not need to be in the same area)

Great boilers. 
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,541
    edited September 2010
    Options
    I

Also on LI. I would put a Viessmann or Triangle Tube in my home in a heartbeat,if I had gas available,which I don't!
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    Options
    Gotta Love the PVC

To vent or not to vent with a pipe that is not rated as a vent pipe. Ooops that's right the manufacturer does list that PVC meets a standard in the manual..Unforunatley that standard has nothing to do with venting. Has to do with "S**T being able to be flushed down a toilet.

Use a boiler that has a vent system rated for venting and protect your family. Go Vitodens!!!!!

I'm so sick of hearing about venting with PVC !
    "The bitter taste of a poor installation remains much longer than the sweet taste of the lowest price."
This discussion has been closed.