Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

low co2 during combustion test

Options
highway
highway Member Posts: 7
Hello all. First post !! Did a tune up on a friends Thermo Dynamics series 110. Replaced the nozzle with same .85 80B. Pump pressure is 140.  I have an -02 draft over fire and -04 at the breach. I get a 9 to 10 co2 reading at the breach using a bacarach wet kit tester. I cant seem to get the reading any higher. I have the air almost completely shut. I'm I missing something? Thanks...

Comments

• Paul Fredricks_3
    Paul Fredricks_3 Member Posts: 1,557
    Options
    More info

Is it a Carlin burner in it? If so, what model Carlin. And 110 seems to be a common number for TD. Do you have the exact model number?
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,785
    Options
    Air Leaks

Could also be air leaks dropping the % of CO2 ... Not a great boiler , reading would not alarm me as long a you have a 0 smoke ...
    I have enough experience to know , that I dont know it all
  • Aud
    Aud Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Draft over fire

If it is a cwl or an ht, you may  have to much draft over the fire. The settings for Thermo-Dynamics' boilers our listed on the boiler.
  • highway
    Options
    low co2

It has a beckett afg. The boiler calls for a -02 draft over fire, which I have. The chamber liner does have several cracks on the bottom or floor. I have 0 smoke.  Thanks for the replies.
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    Options
    wet kit

I would suspect that the fluid needs changing in you tester, as the readings aren't changing. I hope that you did another smoke test, and running a zero smoke. The only poor readings that I've gotten from these are high stack temps, which lowers the efficiency. They are probably the best steel boiler out there other than EK, JMHO. Try a digital tester on it, you may be surprised
  • highway
    edited September 2010
    Options
    low co2

I have a new bacharach wet kit tester with approx 6 tests total. First I checked for smoke and got a zero reading. I then reduced the air and tested again for a trace of smoke. I then checked the co2 reading ( 9 1/2 to 10 ) and then increased the air and tested again for smoke getting a zero smoke reading. I thought it could be the tester, but I checked it on my own boiler when I got home and had a 12 to 13 co2 reading, so I assume the tester is working. My stack temp is 500 *
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,541
    Options
    Leak

Leak between the base and HX,fairly common with drybase boilers
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    Options
    that or

the flue collector is not sealed. Pull the burner and fully inspect the chamber, back and sides. Look for heat marks on the jacket midpoint
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,541
    Options
    Correct

Bill is absolutely correct, i assumed that was checked when serviced
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
This discussion has been closed.