Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Need info professor

Looking for a good source for information on ammonia absorption chillers(commercial & industrial) beyond just how it works and whats required  to know for a NJ blue seal ref lic.I have been going over the arco ref lic book and alot of older stuff that i inherited but looking for something that goes maybe a bit deeper .I know that from the books i have that the absorption equipment has developed vastly when it comes to the electronics and burner fuel side I know the cycle really hasn't changed .Thanks for any help .starting to look into other options work wise and this is the first part of starting what will hopefully be a better deal for myself so i got to start jamming some more info into this little skull cap of mine and get ready for some serious schooling peace and good luck clammy
R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
NJ Master HVAC Lic.
Mahwah, NJ
Specializing in steam and hydronic heating

Comments

• Eugene_Silberstein
    Eugene_Silberstein Member Posts: 349
    edited September 2010
    Look into this book

Refrigeration Principles, Practices and Performance by Chris Langley

This book goes into the Ammonia side of things but does not, if I remember correctly, get into the Lithium Bromide side of absorbers.

Call me at (917) 428-0044 if you have any questions.

Good luck!
    Eugene
  • Techman
    Techman Member Posts: 2,144
    edited September 2010
    Ammonia

Hi clammy, You can try R.S.E.S. ,the have a S.A.M. manual - 9" thick- w/ a section on Ammonia & one on lithium bromide.Then R.E.T.A. -Refrigeration Engineers & Technicians Association- has a couple of courses,Industrial  Refrigeration 1&2 . Also ,contact Henry Valve Co & Alco Controls [valves] and get their Catalogs  on Ammonia Control's .Their Tech Assist/ Engineering  Dept. are very good.And one more,the weekly publication , "The News"  & R.S.E.S. has had lots of Ammonia articles over the years you might be able to arcive them .
  • TonyS
    TonyS Member Posts: 849
    Clammy

I was trained in Indiana at the Robur factory maybe 10- 15 years ago. Since then they closed that facility but they may still have training there.

http://www.robur.com/installer/are-you-an-installer.html

I still have some of their training manuals floating around here, if your interested email me and i will dig them up and pdf them to you. acmmech@comcast.net
  • clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,103
    Thanks for the leads

Thanks for all the input on places to get further  info ,i am looking for more info basically on the whole operations ,trouble shooting and maintance and of course i know that any one can read through all this stuff and get a fairly well handle on what needs to be done but to myself nothing beats piratical experience which to myself really pulls it all together.As always i always try to learn as much as i possibly can so that when i am in class it's not all new and that already have a half a handle on it in my mind.I will be starting my classes this week and finish it up in December whether or not i pass the testing or start a new carrier is yet to be seen i will also have to do a decent amount of free setting time which is not a big deal and should enable me to put it all together.My dad was in this side of the business for many years and had also taught this course for the union for many years and other courses at a local votec  besides running a couple of facilities over the years , at the time i opted to stay on the small side of the business and could not have seen myself staying in one place i liked to be some where new every couple of days and always wanted a bit of a challenge and of course the time line to turn a profit but being as things are and getting older things change and even though this is totally different from what i have been doing for 25 years plus i have to do something being the way things are and this whole may be better in the long run then where i am now plus some times you have to empty your cup and start over filling it with new knowledge and skills .Again that's for your usefully info and of course for the always positive air that floats on the wall.Thanks you and as always peace and good luck clammy
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating
This discussion has been closed.