Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Minisplits? in Istanbul, etc.

D107
D107 Member Posts: 1,849
Spent a week vacationing in Istanbul. Couldn't help notice all the apparent mini-split AC units in apartment buildings, unless I'm mistaken. I haven't noticed these in NYC. Seems very advanced.

Also, trying to figure out if the supply and return lines to the room radiator are lead or copper. Seems like lead to me.

Also, never have seen this type of toilet flush--with top handle you pull up and hold briefly to flush. certainly not low-flow. There's also a thinner second line coming out of the wall which is positioned above the rear of the bowl, I thought maybe for some kind of centrally located cleaner liquid.

Also, how's this two-thousand year old giant underground Byzantine water cistern for size? water line used to be much higher.

Comments

• DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,513
    I love this stuff!

Thanks for sharing. The radiator piping looks like what I see when I go to Europe. Most likely steel.

And I believe that's the sort of AC you'll find in China these days.

Thanks, David. Did you have a gig over there?
    Retired and loving it.
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,540
    Same

in France and Italy, mini splits everywhere!
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • I have 3,

they do a great job! ;-)
  • D107
    D107 Member Posts: 1,849
    Hey Dan--

Re: gig i would have needed more time to set it up. Turns out August is a month many people leave the city for summer vacation; one club I was considering closes for the whole month. i'm lucky to know a Turkish singer in NY and an American singer living in Istanbul who gave me great info. I think I can go back and do some musical cultural programs. (I do sing at least one song in Turkish.)

Interesting thing about that cistern, which is beautifully unearthly--and used as a music venue many times a year by the way--at some point the locals figured out they shouldln't use it for drinking water since they knew it was stagnant, but used it to water their plants, etc.

I have always been fascinated by the different ways different cultures solve problems. The reason i thought those rad pipes were lead is that they appear a bit uneven in diameter in places, sort of like the kind of lead waste lines I remember seeing In Bklyn when the bathroom floors were dug up.

Not sure what the window tubing in the attached photo represents.....
This discussion has been closed.