Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

STEAM BOILER NO RETURN

WDEANCO
WDEANCO Member Posts: 2
I AM QUOTING A OIL FIRED STEAM BOILER BUT I AM CONCERNED BECAUSE IT DOESN'T HAVE HARTFORD LOOP, EQUALIZER OR RETURN. THE WATER RETURNS THE SAME PIPING THE STEAM GOES UP. THE OLD BOILER IS ONLY 6 YRS OLD AND ROTTED OUT ON THE TOP OF THE SECTIONS, COULD THIS NO RETURN HAVE CAUSED THIS .

Comments

• That`s a,

counterflow system.

Laosh describes this type & others in detail, if you do not have a copy,  I strongly suggest getting-it!

Click on the "shop" tab at the top of this page.
  • Rod
    Rod Posts: 2,067
    LAOSH

Hi-  Follow Dave's advice and get "The Lost Art of Steam Heating" http://www.heatinghelp.com/products/Books/5/68/Lost-Art-Of-Steam-Heating

My copy has easily paid for itself several hundred times over.

I've attached a couple of photos of an excellent counterflow system done by Steve Gronski. Note the dropheader and drip layouts.

The boiler rotting out sounds like a water problem. The boiler water's PH needs to be checked or it might also be that fresh water has been added to the boiler without it being brought to a boil to drive off the excess oxygen.

- Rod
  • WDEANCO
    WDEANCO Member Posts: 2
    COUNTERFLOW STEAM SYSTEM

THANKS FELLAS, I DO HAVE LOST ART OF STEAM I WILL HAVE TO LOOK CLOSER.
  • Rod
    Counterflow System.

Counterflow- Try page 83 TLAOSH.  Study the photos. I think Steve Gronsky's approach is superior to the illustration in the book as for one, there would be less conflict between the steam stream and the returning condensate - Rod
  • Rod,

I agree that Steve did a great job piping your steam boiler, but I see no drop header in the conventional sense in the pics. ;-) 
  • Rod
    Regular Header

Dave- You have a good eye!  You right!  It has a regular header and equalizer. I guess my brain was concentrating on finding a photo of a good counterflow drip system and skipped over the header.  BTW this isn't my system. The photo is from a collection I saved of what I call "steam masterpieces". When I see a photo with an exceptionally good approach /configuration, I save it. Now I just have to figure how to get my wife to allow me to frame them and hang them on the den wall! :)

- Rod
  • Dave in QCA
    Dave in QCA Member Posts: 1,785
    Framed Boiler Photos...

will probably end up hanging on your boiler room wall!  This actually presents a good idea!  Clean up the boiler room, nice coat of white paint, neat installation, tools put away.  Nice cozy warm spot in the winter, maybe an old recliner covered with a blanket, a TV or small sterio,  a little fridge for beverages, and pictures of steam masterpieces! 

I know that I would enjoy it, and it gives me great ideas for my boiler room!
    Dave in Quad Cities, America
    Weil-McLain 680 with Riello 2-stage burner, December 2012. Firing rate=375MBH Low, 690MBH Hi.
    System = Early Dunham 2-pipe Vacuo-Vapor (inlet and outlet both at bottom of radiators) Traps are Dunham #2 rebuilt w. Barnes-Jones Cage Units, Dunham-Bush 1E, Mepco 1E, and Armstrong TS-2. All valves haveTunstall orifices sized at 8 oz.
    Current connected load EDR= 1,259 sq ft, Original system EDR = 2,100 sq ft Vaporstat, 13 oz cutout, 4 oz cutin - Temp. control Tekmar 279.
    http://grandviewdavenport.com
This discussion has been closed.