Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.
Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.

If you've found help here, check back in to let us know how everything worked out.
It's a great way to thank those who helped you.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.

STEAM BOILER NO RETURN

WDEANCOWDEANCO Member Posts: 2
I AM QUOTING A OIL FIRED STEAM BOILER BUT I AM CONCERNED BECAUSE IT DOESN'T HAVE HARTFORD LOOP, EQUALIZER OR RETURN. THE WATER RETURNS THE SAME PIPING THE STEAM GOES UP. THE OLD BOILER IS ONLY 6 YRS OLD AND ROTTED OUT ON THE TOP OF THE SECTIONS, COULD THIS NO RETURN HAVE CAUSED THIS .

Comments

• That`s a,

counterflow system.

Laosh describes this type & others in detail, if you do not have a copy,  I strongly suggest getting-it!

Click on the "shop" tab at the top of this page.
  • RodRod Posts: 2,067
    LAOSH

Hi-  Follow Dave's advice and get "The Lost Art of Steam Heating" http://www.heatinghelp.com/products/Books/5/68/Lost-Art-Of-Steam-Heating

My copy has easily paid for itself several hundred times over.

I've attached a couple of photos of an excellent counterflow system done by Steve Gronski. Note the dropheader and drip layouts.

The boiler rotting out sounds like a water problem. The boiler water's PH needs to be checked or it might also be that fresh water has been added to the boiler without it being brought to a boil to drive off the excess oxygen.

- Rod
  • WDEANCOWDEANCO Member Posts: 2
    COUNTERFLOW STEAM SYSTEM

THANKS FELLAS, I DO HAVE LOST ART OF STEAM I WILL HAVE TO LOOK CLOSER.
    Counterflow System.

Counterflow- Try page 83 TLAOSH.  Study the photos. I think Steve Gronsky's approach is superior to the illustration in the book as for one, there would be less conflict between the steam stream and the returning condensate - Rod
  • Rod,

I agree that Steve did a great job piping your steam boiler, but I see no drop header in the conventional sense in the pics. ;-) 
    Regular Header

Dave- You have a good eye!  You right!  It has a regular header and equalizer. I guess my brain was concentrating on finding a photo of a good counterflow drip system and skipped over the header.  BTW this isn't my system. The photo is from a collection I saved of what I call "steam masterpieces". When I see a photo with an exceptionally good approach /configuration, I save it. Now I just have to figure how to get my wife to allow me to frame them and hang them on the den wall! :)

- Rod
  • Dave in QCADave in QCA Member Posts: 1,759
    Framed Boiler Photos...

will probably end up hanging on your boiler room wall!  This actually presents a good idea!  Clean up the boiler room, nice coat of white paint, neat installation, tools put away.  Nice cozy warm spot in the winter, maybe an old recliner covered with a blanket, a TV or small sterio,  a little fridge for beverages, and pictures of steam masterpieces! 

I know that I would enjoy it, and it gives me great ideas for my boiler room!
    Dave in Quad Cities, America
    Weil-McLain 680 with Riello 2-stage burner, December 2012. Firing rate=375MBH Low, 690MBH Hi.
    System = Early Dunham 2-pipe Vacuo-Vapor (inlet and outlet both at bottom of radiators) Traps are Dunham #2 rebuilt w. Barnes-Jones Cage Units, Dunham-Bush 1E, Mepco 1E, and Armstrong TS-2. All valves haveTunstall orifices sized at 8 oz.
    Current connected load EDR= 1,259 sq ft, Original system EDR = 2,100 sq ft Vaporstat, 13 oz cutout, 4 oz cutin - Temp. control Tekmar 279.
    http://grandviewdavenport.com
This discussion has been closed.

Welcome

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!