Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

tree roots in sewer drain

realolman
realolman Member Posts: 513
I'm looking for suggestions on what to do with a tile sewer drain that has a beautiful maple tree growing into it and clogging it up. I don't want to cut the tree. I feel sure there is a way to pull a plastic pipe inside the tile.  Seems to me I saw it on TV once.

A steel head , pulled by a winch that broke and expanded the terra cotta and pulled a plastic pipe in behind it.

Any one have any such experience or other suggestions? The tree is growing pretty much exactly on top of the sewer line.  If I don't come up with something before long, the tree's gonna have to go... and that pains me greatly.

thanks

Comments

• eluv8
    eluv8 Member Posts: 174
    Forma Drain

Have you personally used the product or know someone who has. Sounds like a great option but I have not heard much about it. 
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,162
    Yes

Formadrain is not the only company which has this technology and uses it.  I have specified its use on various sewer rehab jobs (e.g. Stafford, CT; Springfield, VT; Canaan, CT) and been very happy with it.

And it sure beats cutting down the tree... although you will probably find that the company doing the work (whether Formadrain or another one) will probably want the line to be cleared (Rotorooter, etc.) first -- although they may provide that service, too.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • eluv8
    eluv8 Member Posts: 174
    good info

Thanks, I have a friend who is having a similar problem on his rental property. Until now the easiest option was to rooter the line every 6 months.

What the names of these other companies you are familiar with?
This discussion has been closed.