Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Low Loss Header

SpeyFitter
SpeyFitter Member Posts: 422
I've always been skeptical about the benefits of a hydraulic seperator over primary secondary piping. I understand why you would want to use one over p/s but I don't think the benefits alone are that great. The other selling features of low loss headers is they are supposed to help act as an air removal area, as well as an area for dirt seperation. Well I know the latter 2 features they will do, but not do that well - not well enough to replace a true microbubble resorber or a dedicated dirt seperator (or even better, side stream filter).

So a little research has found these: <a href="http://www.spirotech.nl/_media/en/brochures-producten-en/spirocross_eng.pdf">http://www.spirotech.nl/_media/en/brochures-producten-en/spirocross_eng.pdf</a>

With full air seperation and dirt seperation media for the entire breadth of the low loss header. Does anyone know if they have these available in North America? I know Spirovents sand spirotraps are here but it seems like they are limited selection wise.

These act as a true hydraulic seperator/low loss header, air seperator, and dirt seperator all in one due to the media.

Now I know the Caleffi LLH's have a little screen in them but somehow I like the looks of the above much better....
Class 'A' Gas Fitter - Certified Hydronic Systems Designer - Journeyman Plumber

Comments

• LLH/Microbubble Air Eliminator

Brilliant!  I've not seen them yet.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,120
    Do you mean a HydroCal?

in sizes 2-6" flanged for now, ASME available also.

hr
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    Best Feature

Scott I feel from a design standpoint that the ability to not have temp drops across your zones as multiple zones call as you do with pri/sec is the biggest advantage. The other big feature I like is that the boiler can do it's own thing in keeping it's needed flow rate and you can then play with the flow rates on the system side without having to worry about the boiler side. For instance, adding a Grundfos Alpha on the system side and using the recommended circ pumping threw the boiler in mod/con apps when zoning valves.

I have been using Taco's LLH's on the Viessmann Vitodens 100's as it makes for a nice clean job and is priced right. Have been eliminating the Spirovent and haven't seen any air problems. On the VItodens 200's I have been using Caleffi's as it has a port for a well which I need for the temp sensor. Again eliminating the Spirovent and no problems. 
    "The bitter taste of a poor installation remains much longer than the sweet taste of the lowest price."
This discussion has been closed.