Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

MOD/CON MANUAL VOLUME I

Tim McElwain
Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,612
IS FINISHED finally! If you are interested in this manual and are not on my e-mail list contact me for information needed in order to obtain the manual.

MOD/CON BOILERS

VOLUME I

It is finished and with the printer. The manual contains over 400 pages of vital information on Modulating/Condensing technology. It is geared toward troubleshooting and diagnosing problems with systems and controls. There are over 90 pages of color illustrations. The manual contains 19 chapters covering the following:

<span style="font-size:12pt">Introduction                                                                                            </span>

<span style="font-size:12pt">General Terms                                                                                                  </span>

<span style="font-size:12pt">Technical Support Document                             </span>

<span style="font-size:12pt">Efficiency Terminology                                              </span>

<span style="font-size:12pt">Certification                                                                                       </span>

<span style="font-size:12pt">Boiler Design Guidelines                                                                  </span>

<span style="font-size:12pt">Condensing Boiler Technology                                                         </span>

<span style="font-size:12pt">Boiler Types and Piping Strategies                                      </span>

<span style="font-size:12pt">Condensing Boilers                                                                            </span>

<span style="font-size:12pt">Negative Pressure Gas Valves                                                         </span>

<span style="font-size:12pt">Modulating Gas Valves                                                                     </span>

<span style="font-size:12pt">Heat Transfer Products Munchkin (Pre 925 Control)                     </span>

<span style="font-size:12pt">Heat Transfer Products Munchkin (With 925 Control)                   </span>

<span style="font-size:12pt">Heat Transfer Products Munchkin with Dungs Valve/Revision 1 and Revision 2            </span>

<span style="font-size:12pt">Heat Transfer Products Munchkin with Vision 1 Control System                          </span>

<span style="font-size:12pt">Heat Transfer Products Munchkin (926 Control) includes MOD/CON & ELITE Boilers                                                                                   </span>

<span style="font-size:12pt">Triangle Tube PRESTIGE Solo 110 Boiler              </span>

<span style="font-size:12pt">Triangle Tube PRESTIGE Troubleshooting                                                </span>

<span style="font-size:12pt">Triangle Tube PRESTIGE Excellence Water Heater Boiler          </span>

<span style="font-size:12pt">Triangle Tube PRESTIGE Maintenance                             </span>

<span style="font-size:12pt"> </span>

<span style="font-size:12pt">I am already working on Volume II !</span>

<span style="font-size:12pt">Contact me at 401-437-0557 or gastc@cox.net </span>

<span style="font-size:12pt"> </span>

Comments

• Tim McElwain
    For those who have

contacted me there will be a two week delivery on the manual.
  • Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
    Mod Con Manual

Tim, do you plan on copying the manual to CD?  What about including the Viessmann Vitodens 100 and 200 models? 
  • Tim McElwain
    A CD is a future possibility

but not right now.

As for Viessmann I have attempted to get information from them with no success. I attended their school here locally and found the facility impressive but the material made available was geared toward product and not set up as a training program that could be converted to text such as I am working on.

It is very difficult to get information from many of these companies as they feel there manuals are all people need and will not release information on problems or solutions except on a need to know basis. 

To coin a phrase it is like "pulling teeth"
  • Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
    Dealing with Viessmann

Have you tried dealing with Rich Corcoran, in the RI office?  Or Harald Prell in the Waterloo headquarters?  I'd be very interested in seeing if they would help. 

I've had issues with incomplete technical troubleshooting in their existing service manuals, which drives me, and the techs crazy. I've had the same issues with other mod-con boiler manufacturers, and would like to see more comprehensive (and specific) diagnostics.
  • Mark Biro
    Mark Biro Member Posts: 46
    Please post bibliographic information

Thank you, Tim, for posting about this book.  YOUR book?  I wish you every success.

I come from a background in libraries, so I may be prejudiced, unfairly. 

BUT, I trust that you can sell a fair amount of books into public libraries, which is a large market.

HOW to go about it is a longer topic (e.g. distributors and wholesalers...) but I want to encourage you to do two simple things now, which will help both you and the rest of us:

1.  Tell us the basic bibliographic information about the book (in each

case, as it appears on the title page).  Any prospective buyer can then

refer to it accurately, e.g. when asking for its review or purchase.

Author's name

Title

Place of publication

Publisher

Date of publication

You remember this from some high school or college class, no doubt, and

perhaps without fondness.  ;-)

2. Send a copy to the Library of Congress (LC).  (I am sure the necessary info is on their web site.  The last time I did it, it was all paper-based -- that long ago).

This has 3 benefits:

a. You will explicitly obtain copyright.  (It is declared by your printed statement of copyright in the book, which IS sufficient.  But you can get belt and suspenders copyright protection by applying to LC.)

b. They will enter a record of yuor book in their searchable database, which libraries around the world use.  Meaning: Joe Blow in Needs Heat, MN, can ask his library to consider buying a copy, and the library can look at LC records to see that it even exists.  Then they follow their decision-making and purchasing channels.

c. You will also be able to -- maybe you already have -- ask LC for Cataloging-in-Publication data.  (Which the publisher typically places on the back side of the title page.)  This promotes sales, because the work of cataloging has been DONE -- you have greased the skids for library sales.  (When I was young the rule of thumb was $10/title for original cataloging.  With inflation, I assume it would be something like $30 now.  Now: when LC catalogs something ONCE, everyone else just uses an electronic copy of their work, with HUGE savings for all.)

I didn't mean to say so much, and to sound preachy, if I do.  (These are all just a helpful set of conventions, like using a red wire for hot, and black for ground, etc.)  Best wishes!

Gregg Shadduck

Mpls, MN  (somewhere south of Needs Heat)
  • jp_2
    jp_2 Member Posts: 1,935
    lacking

what i see lacking in manuals, is a more comprehensive operations explanation.

timers/ time-outs the machine uses, limits, when limits are reset. fault data tables......

if you have a good understanding of its operation, you really don;t need diagnostics, which, always tend to be poorly written, and really are hard to write!

I'd like to see the machine program sequence.
  • Tim McElwain
    Yes I have contacted

Rich and have meet with him but to no avail. The information I have requested was not made available. I will try Harold and see how I make out.

I also contacted Rich Tretheway who once distributed Viessmann but he has destroyed all his material on Viessmann.
  • CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    edited May 2010
    Viessmann Manual

Paul,

I believe they have a new tech/service manual at the printers as we speak on the  Vitodens line. I had to call concerning a F4 error code on the new 200.  One of the troubleshooting cheks is to measure ionization current but there is nothing in any of the manuals that tell you how or what readings they are looking for. Fortunately figured out the problem without having to do the test. Tech support also has nothing on it. Was told they were waiting on this new manual.
    "The bitter taste of a poor installation remains much longer than the sweet taste of the lowest price."
This discussion has been closed.