Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

burnham freedom mod con boiler

ed m
ed m Member Posts: 65
installed burnham fcm 120 boiler. When outside reset is plugged into board boiler will not fire, when disconnected boiler operates properly. Anyone have any ideas or similar problems with solutions? Thanks

Eddie

Comments

• Jean-David Beyer
    Jean-David Beyer Member Posts: 2,666
    Warm weather shutdown?

When the outside sensor is connected to my system, if it is "too warm" outside, the boiler will fire only for domestic hot water. Could yours be like that?
  • ed m
    reset

if thermostat is calling boiler should turn on. The water temp maxes out at 180 and will turn down to 100 depending on what outside temp is, but if inside temp is not satisfied boiler must fire and circulate water until tstat  is satisfied.

Thanks

Eddie
  • Jean-David Beyer
    Your boiler is different from mine...

"if thermostat is calling boiler should turn on."

If that is true, and I am not arguing, then your boiler is different from mine. With mine, no matter what the thermostat requests, if warm weather shutdown is in effect, the boiler fires only for domestic hot water.

In fact, when the tech came for annual service, he did not know that and could not figure how to get the boiler to fire, so I had to diddle the warm weather shutdown for him (since it was something like 80F outside and WWSD was set to 70F).

I just wondered it that might be the case for your boiler (whose instructions I have never read.).
  • CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    Check WWSD

Check the warm weather shut down temp. If the outdoor temp is there it doesn't matter if you turn that therm up to 90 the boiler won't fire.
    "The bitter taste of a poor installation remains much longer than the sweet taste of the lowest price."
  • ed m
    wwsd

Thanks for the info. I did not read or see anything about this in the boiler manual,may have to raise the temp. on the shut down.Does anybody know where I can find this for the burnham freedom.

Thanks
  • Jean-David Beyer
    I looked at their installation manual ...

... and found nothing about warm weather shutdown feature. Note: I am not a professional, but it seems to me that if they do not mention it, and do not say how to adjust it, perhaps it is not a feature with your boiler. Frankly, even though my boiler does have this feature, I do not think it is very useful, since if the thermostat(s) do not call for heat, the boiler is not going to fire anyway. And if it does call for heat, why not supply it? Maybe to defeat curious fingers of meddlesome kids or something?
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,612
    I am contacting a Burnham rep

as I am not sure if this unit has the Honeywell MCBA control or the new Sage 2 control. When I find out then we can take a look at how the parameters are set up.
  • Tim McElwain
    This is what is in the manual concerning ODR

there is no set WWSD that I can see and the graph shown does not have one.

If an outdoor sensor is installed, the boiler will automatically adjust the heating zone set point temperature based on the outdoor reset curve in chart shown. The maximum set point is defined by parameter 4 (factory set to 180°F) when the outdoor temperature is Oº (F) or below. The minimum set point temperature shown is 100°F when the outdoor temperature is 60°F or above. As the outdoor temperature falls the supply water target temperature increases. For example, if the outdoor air temperature is 30°F, the set point temperature for the. supply water is 140°F.
  • Tim McElwain
    This boiler uses an

Honeywell MCBA control with an ODR which is a thermistor. First try removing the wires and OHM out the thermistor at 70 degrees it should be around 12K ohms.

If that is okay then your parameter settings are out of adjustment and you need your installer to come and check them.
This discussion has been closed.