Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

What are the dangers of buying a used boiler

Options
Hey_Obie
Hey_Obie Member Posts: 66
There is a Weil McClain WGTO-4 boiler that is for sale locally asking $700 (includes burner, circular, taco  6 zone valve control with DHW priority). This is the size that I need for my application.  The story on the boiler is that it was bought 5 years ago and used for 1 1/2 seasons.  An addition was put on and the HVAC guy told the owner that it would cost more to install the baseboards in the new addition than it would to put in a new heat pump.

So the boiler was used for 1 1/2 seasons and has sat for 2-3 years.

What concerns would you have?  IWould you pressure test before purchase?

Thanks,

Obie

Comments

• Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,785
    Options
    Leakage

Besides loosing any warranty ....Check for leakage , plug up all the taps and pressurize the boiler with water to 25# ... Sit and wait to make sure the pressure doesn't not drop ...

Then pray to the boiler Gods for luck and long life ...

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Timco
    Timco Member Posts: 3,040
    Options
    warranty

I would ask for a 30 day warranty after it is fired. A hot boiler may leak faster than a sitting cold boiler. HX look clean? 
    Just a guy running some pipes.
  • CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    Options
    Used Boiler

I would def pressure test the iron and make sure no problems. I would also contact Weil with the serial number and make sure this boiler wasn't made during the hinge crack years. You have no warranty. I would purch a new circ and aquastat and make sure that a pro sets up the burner properly. May even replace the burner motor, primary control and cad eye. To be honest the best investment is to purchase a new boiler.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Hey_Obie
    Hey_Obie Member Posts: 66
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Hinge crack years

Can I assume that the hinge crack had to do with the door?  Thanks
This discussion has been closed.