Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

What are the dangers of buying a used boiler

Hey_Obie
Hey_Obie Member Posts: 66
There is a Weil McClain WGTO-4 boiler that is for sale locally asking $700 (includes burner, circular, taco  6 zone valve control with DHW priority). This is the size that I need for my application.  The story on the boiler is that it was bought 5 years ago and used for 1 1/2 seasons.  An addition was put on and the HVAC guy told the owner that it would cost more to install the baseboards in the new addition than it would to put in a new heat pump.

So the boiler was used for 1 1/2 seasons and has sat for 2-3 years.

What concerns would you have?  IWould you pressure test before purchase?

Thanks,

Obie

Comments

• Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,762
    Leakage

Besides loosing any warranty ....Check for leakage , plug up all the taps and pressurize the boiler with water to 25# ... Sit and wait to make sure the pressure doesn't not drop ...

Then pray to the boiler Gods for luck and long life ...
    I have enough experience to know , that I dont know it all
  • Timco
    Timco Member Posts: 3,040
    warranty

I would ask for a 30 day warranty after it is fired. A hot boiler may leak faster than a sitting cold boiler. HX look clean? 
    Just a guy running some pipes.
  • CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    Used Boiler

I would def pressure test the iron and make sure no problems. I would also contact Weil with the serial number and make sure this boiler wasn't made during the hinge crack years. You have no warranty. I would purch a new circ and aquastat and make sure that a pro sets up the burner properly. May even replace the burner motor, primary control and cad eye. To be honest the best investment is to purchase a new boiler.
    "The bitter taste of a poor installation remains much longer than the sweet taste of the lowest price."
  • Hey_Obie
    Hey_Obie Member Posts: 66
    edited April 2010
    Hinge crack years

Can I assume that the hinge crack had to do with the door?  Thanks
This discussion has been closed.