Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

need a steam pressure cycle switch

I need to replace my steam boiler pressure switch.  I have read on this board from a few different threads for a two floor home I should set the switch to .5 psi and the differential to 1 psi.  The problem is my boiler keeps going up past those settings to 4 psig and then shuts down.  I have changed the gauge with a brand new one to make sure it was not a faulty reading but the gauges are correct.  The current pressure switch is a Honeywell but I would like to know if there is something better on the market.  A friend of mine bought a brand new Honeywell switch and it was not operating at the correct pressures he set it to. Is there anything better out there?

Comments

• JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    edited February 2010
    Not just the switch.

Did you clean the pigtail?
  • Turbo
    Turbo Member Posts: 8
    Clean

Yes,. The pigtail is clean.
  • pressuretrol location

some pressuretrols which are tapped into the top of the LWCO can can plug up below the pigtail--could this be the location, and problem with your pressuretrol?

unfortunately, the selection of pressure controls available is limited to the products of only one manufacturer--honeywell. if you decide to replace your pressure control, get a vaporstat [0-16 ounce]. as you continue trying to make your system more comfortable, and quiet, and economical; you will eventually realize that you need one--so why not now?--nbc
  • Turbo
    Thank You which one do I need?

I was looking at the vaporstat's and there are two with the 0-16oz. 

L408J1025 SPST make on pressure rise Only

or

L408J1009 SPDT make R-W, break R-B on pressure rise
  • Turbo
    another question

I would also like to know why I would not get the 0-4 psi moodels.  I noticed the 0-16oz and 0-4psi both are used with a 0-4psi system but have different operating ranges.  I am onfused could someone explain please.
  • Turbo
    Bump for an answer please

Could someone please answer my questions please so I can order the correct vaporstat. Thank you.
  • jpf321
    jpf321 Member Posts: 1,568
    0-16oz "1009" Break R-B on Rise

i hadn't seen this thread .. but I think most people here would recommend 0-16oz "1009" Break R-B on Rise
    1-pipe Homeowner - Queens, NYC

NEW: SlantFin Intrepid TR-30 + Tankless + Riello 40-F5 @ 0.85gph | OLD: Fitzgibbons 402 boiler + Beckett "SR" Oil Gun @ 1.75gph

installed: 0-20oz/si gauge | vaporstat | hour-meter | gortons on all rads | 1pc G#2 + 1pc G#1 on each of 2 mains

Connected EDR load: 371 sf venting load: 2.95cfm vent capacity: 4.62cfm
    my NEW system pics | my OLD system pics
This discussion has been closed.