Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Tekmar / caleffi controls for DB

Karl_Northwind
Karl_Northwind Member Posts: 139
Has anyone out here used Tekmar's solar controls?  specifically the 155, 156, 157?

I'm going to be installing a large drainback system, and want to do Variable speed circulator for both the primary solar circulator as well as the 2 secondaries that will be sending the heat to the 2 tube and shell HX's for the 2 pools.

Has anyone used the tekmar 157 for variable speed pumping a drainback system?

I'm considering using the Caleffi DB4, but need to run a larger pump than it's relay is rated for.

Hot Rod-- can you give me a hand on spec'ing caleffi controls for this? BTU monitoring as well as control of the solar loop?  

thanks

Karl

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
    new controls

The next batch of Caleffi I-solar controls will all have a drainback function included. So the DB specific controls will go away. The Plus control would be the best choice, some of the middle number controls will be deleted. Two or three should cover all the options.

There will be other changes like a heat dump arr and anti legionella function.

How large of a pump? The control has been tested with a 1.5 amp draw. Tested with a 15-100 Grundfos, Wilo Star 32 and the Taco 0010 on the variable speed triac relay. The fixed speed relay will be a 2 amp.

There is an external relay that Rockwell Automation offers, for controlling a larger draw VS. I have not tried this personally. Rockwell tell us this will work with our control.

The new controls are due any day now. I hope :)

hr
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Karl_Northwind
    Karl_Northwind Member Posts: 139
    DB controls

I'll either be using a single Taco 1400-45 or equivalent, or 4 taco

009's (one for each array), in which case I'll most likely be using a

single VS control for each circ. 

the VS controls will run a

009 right? I like the redundancy, and the fact that i can pick up a 009

anywhere, today. I'll be pumping secondarys to the 2 pools.

I'll leave the specifics of the controls out of the bid till we see what the new stuff is.

thanks

Karl
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
    the control

will switch a 1 amp load on the VS function. The 009 is 1.4 amp at full load, I believe. Un-officially we have run up to a 1.5 amp load on them, but they are listed at 1 amp.

Look for a lower current draw circ or use the iso relay to be safe.

hr
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
This discussion has been closed.