Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

can my gas meter supply enough gas?

Joseph_4
Joseph_4 Member Posts: 271
I have a friend who is looking  into the possibility of  an oil to gas conversion. running off his meter so far is a stove 35k btu and a dryer  at 40k btu. he needs a boiler sized at 240k btu.

The meter he has is from American meter company and is an AC-250 which says 250 C.F.H. Would his meter handle the load of all these running at the same time? What is the calculation to figure max that a meter can supply?

Thanks,

Josh2

Comments

• Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,612
    The number on the meter

pretty much gives you the answer. If it is a 250 it can handle 250 Cubic feet per hour. You can use a BTU content of 1050 BTU's per cubic foot to give you a maximum with that meter of 262,500 BTU's.

250 x 1050=262,500

You say he has a stove, is that a gas range if so most gas ranges are about 65,000 BTU,s 4 top burners 10,000 each and the oven around 25,000. The next meter size is either a 415 or a 425 from the gas company that is what you will need.

They may also have to increase the pipe size into the house depending on whats there now.
  • Joseph_4
    Joseph_4 Member Posts: 271
    thanks for reply

thanks for the reply Tim,

Josh
  • Dan467
    Dan467 Member Posts: 11
    gas meter

A 250 meter supplies 250 cubic ft. at a half inch drop in pressure. It says so on your meter. You can afford that drop if you install the proper size gas pipe. So the answer is your meter will be fine. That is a good size boiler hope you have a large house. 
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,318
    I vote for the next size up in meter

I have yet to see a meter that size if it is a few years old supply that size of load. Some areas the gas is only 1000 per cubic foot some it is even less. remember the big cooking and gathering holidays are in the winter for most folks. That means laundry, Christmas dinner, a cold snap, and a line in the bathroom for the shower. It is a bad time to find out your meter is too small.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,612
    DO NOT i REPEAT

DO NOT LEAVE THE 250 METER IN ON THIS JOB!

Sorry did not mean to shout but based on information given the 250 meter is borderline to say the least. Another size (large capacity)meter is no more money so upsize the meter. Believe me I know what I am talking about after working for a gas comapny for 28 years and having over 50 years in the gas business take my advice.
This discussion has been closed.