Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Maximum temperature gain?

I installed a new boiler, new Gorton #2 antler (4 total mains) and have worked hard to get the 2-pipe system as balanced as possible. My pressuretrol is set at .5 & 1 and is forcing the boiler to cut in and out if the heating cycle is long. I have a set-back  thermostat and the cutting in and out only happens when raising the temp by 6 or so degrees. That cycle takes about 40 minutes or so. Also, that extended run will cause the Gorton is hiss very slightly once pressure has been established in the system.

Yesterday, I got home from some holiday travel and the system was taxed to heat the house by a whopping 10 degrees. The boiler took a few hours but performed great.

My ultimate question is "what is the maximum temperature increase do you suggest in a given heating cycle?"

Comments

• Mark N
    Mark N Member Posts: 1,115
    Max Temp

What I do is when I'll be away for a few days is I turn the Tstat back to 65. When I get back home I put the tsat up 2 degrees to 67 and let it run. After it done running I wait to see where the temp will settle out at usually 68 degrees. Then I'll put it up to 70 and leave it there. I"ve been doing it this way for over 20 years with no problems. Once your boiler starts cycling on and off on pressure it is running very inefficiently. Also I've found by only increasing the temp by 2 degrees at a time decreases the likelyhood of banging and spitting.

Mark
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,168
    A good rule of thumb

for setback on high mass systems (Thanks, Frank and Gerry!) is to see how far the temperature will drop on an average day in two hours -- and don't make the setback more than that.  But you will find there is a good deal of debate on the subject...  but that would be my suggestion.  Typically 3 to 5 degrees night setback.

The maximum increase in one cycle?  There isn't one, if by one single cycle you mean recovering from an extended power outage or a vacation.  The pressuretrol or vaporstat will keep the system pressures in range while ol' faithful warms you up.  The cycling on pressure is meant to happen.

But... setback per cycle?  3 to 5 degrees.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • arcalex
    arcalex Member Posts: 8
    thanks

Jaime and Mark,

Thanks for your comments. I really appreciate it. I am going to adjust my thermostat to fall within the range suggested and do a little more reading to try to maximize efficiency. After the new boiler and main vents, I have to say I am actually interested/excited to get my heating bills this year to compare to last year's performance. Last year was heating with an older boiler, complete with a hole the size of a half dollar, pressuretrol on 2psi+ and no main vents. I never thought I would be excited to see a gas bill...

As an aside, this morning I happened to be in the basement after the heating cycle and heard the gortons open back up and the resultant vacuum noise. It scared the crap out of as I thought that somehow I toasted a vent...
  • don't forget the degree day info

my gas co will give me a printout of my previous consumption in cu. ft. and the degree day figures for the same period.--nbc
This discussion has been closed.