Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

LOCHINVAR PLT3400 HSI PROBLEMS

Options
SHELLY
SHELLY Member Posts: 2
I  AM A PLUMBING WHOLESALER AND HAVE SOLD A NUMBER OF LOCHINVAR PNCH BOLIERS. PLT3400 HSI  (IGNITOR)  HAS FAILED  ON 5 BOILERS IN A SPAN OF 2 MONTHS. ANY SUGGESTIONS?

Comments

• Stirling Boston
    Stirling Boston Member Posts: 33
    Options
    I bet we can help!

Shelly,

Feel free to give us a call. We have not sen any ignitor issues but I bet we can identify something insallation related that is causing these failures to occur.

1-800-722-2101
    Stirling
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,621
    Options
    Stirling why not share those

with us here. I am sure it would prevent many problems in the future with other installs.
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,621
    Options
    Shelly, are

any of these in new construction situations? if so dry wall dust and fiberglass air borne fibers raise havoc with igniters.

If these are new then handling issues on delivery can cause cracks in the igniters which then fail soon after.

Whose igniters are these? What are the numbers on the igniters?

Also voltages above 125 VAC will shorten the life of the igniter.

How long have these installs been in before failure?
  • SHELLY
    SHELLY Member Posts: 2
    Options
    PLT3400

SPOKE W/ TECH SUPPORT @WALLACE EANNACE. COULD BE LOW TEMP WATER CAUSING CONDENSATE TO DRIP OR BAD DRAFT. DETAILS TO FOLLOW. THANKS
  • Stirling Boston
    Stirling Boston Member Posts: 33
    Options
    Premature HSI failures can be cause by...

Most of the time an igniter problem as described can be traced back to either short cycling or to condensing in the combustion chamber of a non-condensing appliance. Short cycling can litealy take an HSI (or electronic component) through hundreds of of cycles a day which leads to very premature failure. Operating at condensing temperatures causes the combustion chamber of a non-condensing appliance to allow the ignite to come in contact with moisture which can get into the pores of an igniter and make it easy to crack when it heats up. These are two of the most common issues.
    Stirling
This discussion has been closed.