Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Sizing

Options
MP1013
MP1013 Member Posts: 17
I have an old Victorian home whose steam boiler needs to be replaced. They currntly have a Burnham IN 9 . boiler. I sized the EDR and came up with 458 feet . Using a 1.5 pick up and converting it came away with 165,042 DOE. Based on those numbers I should use a IN 7 to replace it with. A little hesitant it is a 3 story house with the boiler located in basement. It has 2 2" mains along with 2 1 1/4" lines which pick up acbout 4 radiators in an extension and attic. Any help here wth the correct size.

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,327
    Options
    double check

all your arithmetic, and then make sure you haven't missed anything somewhere.  And then be brave!  The size of the house and the size of the steam mains or the location of the boiler have nothing to do with it -- just the EDR and the pickup.  Do be careful, though, if some bright soul has taken the insulation off the mains and not put any back; if so, your 1.5 pickup is only just adequate.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
This discussion has been closed.