Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Not going to make that call...

Options
Timco
Timco Member Posts: 3,040
I re-piped a mil BTU steamer a few weeks back. After running for a while now, I get a no-heat call on the building and find the transformer is dead. Replace it and flame is rolling out the front. Turns out, a panel of insulation from the fire box fell off, broke in half and was laying on top of the burners, which melted a wire and killed xformer. Building super is really looking for an option to get it running and rep offered a panel from another steamer, but I refused to take that responsibility and ordered the actual panel kit at a HUGE expense of both part (front & back panel kit comes with insulation panel) and shipping.(over 500 for overnight) I know no one will die as a result of using some other part than original and was not going to make that call myself, and factory agreed...

Tim
Just a guy running some pipes.

Comments

• EricAune
    EricAune Member Posts: 432
    Options
    You are the exception to the rule

In this day and age it seems so many contractors are willing to do whatever is easiest and cheapest to get the job done.  Sometimes the easiest and chaepest ways are not the best way. 

I commend you for sticking with your morals and doing it the way you saw to be the right way!
    "If you don't like change, your going to like irrelevance even less"
  • Timco
    Timco Member Posts: 3,040
    Options
    thanks...

I really took some 'heat' (no pun intended) for not firing it as it is now snowing but I just refused. Was worried I was being too safe and not considering how many tenants are affected but I just couldn't take that chance and it was not my fault...

Tim
    Just a guy running some pipes.
This discussion has been closed.