Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Bryant 90% lawsuit?

Options
MarkPFalade
MarkPFalade Member Posts: 68
Can anyone tell me what the cutoff date is on the furnaces? All the info I find tells me where/when in the product line it starts but I can't find when it stops. I've just rediscovered one I did in 2002 and I wonder if it is included in the extended warrantee. I did a combustion ananlysis on it and it's running fine, I also checked for CO contamination in the house while it was running and found none. Is there anything else I should be doing that I'm not aware of?

Thanks

Comments

• Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,621
    Options
    Mark is this some problem with

Bryant Furnaces? I am not aware of a problem, is there a web site that lists the problem? I happen to have a Bryant unit heating my training center and have not had a problem with it???
  • MarkPFalade
    edited September 2009
    Options
    yup,

hey tim,

yea, if you go over to resources here then heating alerts, legal and then carrier (I think) it comes up. In like 2007 there was a class action lawsuit concerning premature failure of the secondary HX in the carrier/Bryant/ payne and day/nite 90 plus furnaces. It gives, I believe, a 20 year extended warrantee on the HX or $1050 towards furnace replacement. It starts with the 1989 models, I thought it was for only a certain number of years but I can't find where it ends.

I figure on calling bryant monday but I was hoping to get an answer here before then. No biggie really just curiosity eating at me. lol
  • MarkPFalade
    edited September 2009
    Options
    Link

Here is a link to a contractor website that has some info. None of the links work for me though, I'm just looking at the list of affected model numbers near the bottom. I'll find out more Monday.

[url=http://www.mainheating.com/lawsuit.htm]http://www.mainheating.com/lawsuit.htm
  • Glenn Harrison_2
    Glenn Harrison_2 Member Posts: 845
    Options
    Carrier Class action Lawsuit settlement

It's my understanding that the Carrier/Bryant class action law suit settlement covers all 90% furnaces that use the propylene coating in the secondary HX, including current production units. This class action provides labor on top of the parts warranty that is standard. I can testifiy to this as we had a 2 year old Carrier multiposition 90% unit that had a defect in the secondary, and we got labor for the secondary HX replacement, so no cost to the customer.

Now on the older dedicated up flow and down flow units from the late 80's and early to mid 90's, there is a choice to either replace the secondary HX or receive a credit towards the purchase of a new unit. I won't say what the credit is here, but it approximately provides for a new single stage furnace, not including any labor or installation materials. Upgrading to a 2 or 3 stage furnace costs extra (thats why it is a flat credit).
  • MarkPFalade
    Options
    According to Carrier

The lawsuit covers 89 thru 92 models but ALL models up to and including the newest ones carry a 20 year warrantee on the secondary heat exchanger.
This discussion has been closed.