Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

connecting two steam elememnts

Options
One of my original steam radiator/convectors was replaced 20 years ago with a steam element convector, 56" long by 6" front to back by 2" top to bottom with 3 pipes running along the length of the element and fins surrounding them. It gets quite hot to the touch but the total heat given off was never equal to that of the original, and it is not adequate for the 17' by 13' master bedroom which it is supposed to heat. I recently thought of attaching another identical element to and above the first one sort of piggy-back. The actual inside diameter of the nipple connecting the elements would be about 5/8". I figure I would get twice as much heat from the combination. Would this be workable?

Comments

• Paul Fredricks_3
    Paul Fredricks_3 Member Posts: 1,557
    Options

The problem is these work by convection and temperature difference. Nice cool air is entering the lower coil and being heated, but the second coil has hot coming into it, so it can't give off much more heat. I don't know if this arrangement is possible or not, but you definitely won't get twice the heat.
This discussion has been closed.