Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Indirect Water Heater - Water rust or muddy colored

JC_7
JC_7 Member Posts: 4
We have just noticed (after filling the tub) that our hot water is rusty or muddy colored. The cold water color is fine but the hot is where the discolored water is coming from. Could my indirect hot water heater (17 years old) be the culprit. Could my coils be corroding thus putting rust color in the water? Could the anodes have steel somehwere in the construction of them for the anode material to bond to? The anodes have never been replaced that I can see from the previous home owner. The indirect water heater is a Vaillant brand. I'm very unfamiliar with this heater type and any information for troubleshooting would be appreciated. Maybe a new one should be procured? Thanks for any help. Gary

Comments

• Anthony Calia_2
    Anthony Calia_2 Member Posts: 2

I had a similar problem last year with an Amtrol. It sounded like there was loose change inside the tank, and the water was very rusty. As it turned-out, a chunk of slag must have formed on the coils and broke loose. It rattled around for about an hour or so while I ran the water. Eventually, the water cleared-up and everything was fine.

Anthony
This discussion has been closed.