Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

csst grounding

I presume you are talking about the incoming service from the outside, which would have been PE, because it is illegal to use PE inside of the building. And to answer your question, YES, it is required to ground the CSST at all terminations to avoid the swiss cheese syndrome should the building get hit by lightning.

To the best of my knowledge, it has to be an approved earth ground, and I don't believe that the building super structure qualifies as an approved earth grounding source.

But I've been wrong before, and I'll be wrong again...:-)

ME

Comments

• csst grounding

What is the grounding requirement for this pipe? I ask because I saw a non english speaking contractor running a ground from a steel I beam to a natural gas service.I asked around the site and this was grounding the csst pipe in the building.The gas service was plastic.
    Thanks for any info Mike
  • scrook_2
    scrook_2 Member Posts: 610
    NEC

I believe you'll find NEC requires gas piping (and water piping, CATV & phone wiring, outside antennas &/or towers, etc.) to be bonded to the electrical service entrance grounding rod (single point ground)

This ensures *everything's* at the *same* ground potential particularly important if there's a lightning strike nearby.

Your fellow electricians should know for sure.

The utility feed may be (likely is) plastic to near where it rises out of the ground at the meter set, but this doesn't matter to the internal metallic piping/CSST.
  • singh
    singh Member Posts: 866
    What about

Jumping a ground from CSST to the CW copper pipe , which acts as a ground for the electric??

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"

• I understand the reason to ground the CSST, but what about flex connectors? I haven't heard or seen anything about them. They aren't that much stronger than CSST when lightning is concerned. As Singh mentioned, it's important to give a bit of distance between the CSST and any other conductor.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • jim lockard
    jim lockard Member Posts: 1,059
    Maybe

If you can catch the metal water service pipe where it comes into the building. That way you catch the water pipe bond to the electrical service,which takes you to the neutral/ground from the power company.
    I would prefer the building steel which combined with the concrete is an excellent ground. My last choice would be a single driven rod as the resistance to ground could be quite high. Realistic if lighting was to hit a building it would do so because of the building steel which hopefully would guide the bolt harmlessly into the ground.
  • mtfallsmikey
    mtfallsmikey Member Posts: 765
    I'll try to get a definitive answer

Going to an NEC 2005 seminar tomorrow evening.
  • mtfallsmikey
    mtfallsmikey Member Posts: 765
    And another...

http://www.pddocs.com/csst/

CSST lawsuit settlement
  • Matt_67
    Matt_67 Member Posts: 284
    Read the mfg instructions!

SECTION 4.10 — ELECTRICAL
    BONDING/GROUNDING
    1. Definitions:
    Grounding: The process of making an