Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Waste Vegetable Oil in a beckett AFG Burner

Brad White
Brad White Member Posts: 2,398
would these cars be clogging the Nations arteries?

:)

Pass the salt.

Brad
"If you do not know the answer, say, "I do not know the answer", and you will be correct!"

-Ernie White, my Dad

Comments

• Tim Schram_2
    Tim Schram_2 Member Posts: 17
    Waste vegetable oil as a fuel

Hi,

I am trying to help out one of my customers. He would like to know if he can run waste vegetable oil in his AFG beckett oil burner. Does anyone else know if this can be done. I have obviously told him all bets are off as far as manufacturer warranty goes as well as efficiency. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Tim
  • Ron Schroeder
    Ron Schroeder Member Posts: 998

Not without extensive modifications. But some people have been successfull with 10% filtered veggie oil mixed in with #2.
  • martin
    martin Member Posts: 144
    Veg oil in burner

I tried using pure bio-diesel in my AFG, to thick it wouldn't pump. I might try about 20% bio to no. 2 next time
  • Wayne_16
    Wayne_16 Member Posts: 130
    french fry vehicles

The people using veg oil to power cars and trucks have modifications done to the vehicle. One of the items added is the second tank for the veg oil. The motor is started adn warmed up on reg diesel fuel and then switch to the veg oil once the engine is warm, then switched back to regular fuel prior to shutting the engine off.

Thanks, Wayne
  • Wayne_16
    Wayne_16 Member Posts: 130
    french fry vehicles

The people using veg oil to power cars and trucks have modifications done to the vehicle. One of the items added is the second tank for the veg oil. The motor is started adn warmed up on reg diesel fuel and then switch to the veg oil once the engine is warm, then switched back to regular fuel prior to shutting the engine off.

Thanks, Wayne
  • pump lubrication

The lubrication quality might affect the oil pump life??
  • Ron Schroeder
    Ron Schroeder Member Posts: 998

Lubrication is not a problem. Veggie oil lubricates a lot better than #2 fuel oil. The problem is the much higher viscosity and much higher flashpoint. The veggie oil needs to be heated to over 100 degrees before the pump for it to be thin enough to pump and to over 200 degrees between the pump and the nozzle to get it thin enough to atomize well. Even with the heating, the nozzle will usually plug up from varnish in under a week. The flame is also longer due to slower burning which can damage the back wall of the combustion chamber if it touches. There are ways around the problems but not easilly with conventional nozzles.
  • Pmari
    Pmari Member Posts: 1
    Waste Vegetable Oil in a beckett AFG Burner

Refer your customer to this site http://groups.yahoo.com/group/altfuelfurnace/

• Joe Staib
    Joe Staib Member Posts: 4
    Bio deisel in oil burner

Hi Guys,
    A friend of mine sent me this link and I've been enjoying the conversation. I did convert an oil burner for a friend to 100% bio deisel and did encounter these issues. The bio deisel is very corrosive and will harm the pump so I purchased a webster bio fuel pump and that worked well. I did have problems with the oil when it got cooler (the tank was outside) so I used a smaller tank right in the boiler room and it did make a big difference. The longest I had the boiler running was about three weeks on a beckett AFG burner and I noticed an accumulation of glycerin on the nozzle causing it to fail. I found that if you take the extra time in refining the oil (to remove as much glycerin as possible) when you make it makes the burn improve. The other things I was playing with was another way to preheat the oil because the nozzle line heater couldn't handle it and switching from a solid nozzle to a hollow did give me a better longer burn. I was impressed with the results, but it's a work in progress.
This discussion has been closed.