Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Gas boiler question

Options
Paul Fredricks_3
Paul Fredricks_3 Member Posts: 1,557
Thanks for the reply. It's been 2 years now that we've been talking about this. Figure it's time to get our ducks in a row.

Comments

• Paul Fredricks_3
    Paul Fredricks_3 Member Posts: 1,557
    Options
    Looking for advise

My brother in-law is thinking about replacing his atmospheric gas boiler as it's got to be 25 years old at least. Of course I'm the guy to do the job. I have done some gas in the past, but mostly work with oil fired equipment.

What I'm looking for are suggestions on what to put in. He has 3 heating zones, all baseboard. Currently he has a gas water heater, but we'd like to set up the new boiler so that we can drop in an indirect when the current one dies.

There is no radiant, just baseboard. I don't recall the BTU's, but I've got to figure around 110k. I will do a full heatloss to double check before going forward with anything. There are no plans to add on the house, no real need to.

As far as venting goes, there is the possibility of running direct vent and fresh air up the chimney, not sure about going out the basement wall yet.

I have looked at the Lochinvar offerings, both the Knight and the other one whose name escapes me at the moment. Any thought on these? Or any other thoughts.

I'd appreciate any info and opinions.

Thanks guys!
  • Al Letellier_9
    Al Letellier_9 Member Posts: 929
    Options
    gas boiler

There are a lot of good gas boilers out there. My best advice: Do the heat loss and connected load routine, decide on the best venting solution, then pick the boiler. A condensing gas boiler will be the best bet as far as efficiency is concerned, but may not fit your friend's budget. Pick the best boiler he can afford. My choices : Weil Ultra, Buderus and Viessmann.
This discussion has been closed.