Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Grundfos Alpha Pro

Aidan (UK)
Aidan (UK) Member Posts: 290
> I don't believe they manufacture anything but <BR>
> 240V 50cycle. Also they have not been listed by <BR>
> UL if that matters.

True.

E-Bay.

Comments

• Steverino
    Steverino Member Posts: 140

Does anyone have an idea where I could get a Grundfos Alpha Pro circulator in the US (or at least proper voltage/Hz)?
  • hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Doubtful

I don't believe they manufacture anything but 240V 50cycle. Also they have not been listed by UL if that matters. I've heard of contractors buying them via the www from a UK site. Maybe do a "google" search for them.

hot rod

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Steverino

Yes I saw them at UK websites. What I am not sure of is if the units will work on 120/60. They probably don't apply line voltage directly to the motor but I don't know how adaptable the power converter is.
  • Constantin
    Constantin Member Posts: 3,796
    No, no, no!

if you're into adapting a EU unit to work in the US, my understanding is that the frequency is not that important, but the incoming voltage is. Only use these on 230/240VAC circuits!

Hot rod has some experience running a sample on US voltages/frequency. It seems to work and once they work over the internal power supply, there is no reason that they cannot produce a 110/115VAC unit also.
  • Steverino

I was hoping they would use a universal power supply like you find in things like PCs now days. Or at least a selectable supply voltage. Then they would have only one unit to stock.

• Aidan (UK)
    Aidan (UK) Member Posts: 290
    UK pumps

> if you're into adapting a EU unit to work in the

> US, my understanding is that the frequency is not

> that important, but the incoming voltage is. Only

> use these on 230/240VAC circuits!

That's also my understanding, but I'm not certain. It might cost you a pump to confirm it. The power supply incorporates the speed control and is fixed to the side of the pump housing. There is a 230 V 50Hz power cord in; unauthorised amendments would require electronics expertise.

http://net.grundfos.com/Appl/WebCAPS/LiteratureDetail?documentid=2031&litlanguage=ENU&typecode=ALPFAM&appcode=HEATING&pdfid=5314&language=ENU

On the plumbing side you'd also need the 1 1/2" BSP union screw-on pump connectors and some 22mm to 3/4" adaptors.

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=20850&ts=23504
  • hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    This Grundfos

solar module has been running in my shop on 240V 60 cycle without any noticable problems. Grundfos assures me that 60 cycle does not hurt those 50 cycle motors. Same for the electronics on the Alpha.

hot rod

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
This discussion has been closed.