Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

zone valve rating

Options
Hey Carol, my question is which amp rating am i looking for w/a honeywell zone valve model V8043E1012, to figure how many of these zone valves i can put on a 40VA transformer, the only amp reading i can find on this valve is 4.4A... Is this the right rating? or does this valve have another rating that maybe i am not seeing?? This number seems kind of high to me, 4.4A X 24V = 105.6VA.. I must be missing something here, hope you can help...thanks

Comments

• Rich W
    Rich W Member Posts: 175
    Options
    4.4A

Must be the end switch rating. The motor is usually around .35A 40/24= 1.66A 1.66/.35=4.74valves - I would use 4 valves per.
  • Empire_2
    Empire_2 Member Posts: 2,343
    Options
    Mike

The 4.4 is the end switch contact rating @ 120 vac. This particular valve's power consumption is 7.7 VA each valve. Honeywell.com has a great web sight that you can fill the model zone valve you have and it will give you all the info you need on that valve.

MIke T.
  • carol_3
    carol_3 Member Posts: 397
    Options

The V8043E1012 is .32A. Multiply that by 24V and you get 7.68VA. Divide the 40VA of the transformer by 7.68VA for the zone valve, and voila, you get 5.2, which rounds back to 5 zone valves.

Sort of related is this thought--VA and watts are exactly the same thing--volts x amps. It seems that when we have a resistive load, the industry calls it watts, and when it's an inductive load (motor) it's called VA.
This discussion has been closed.