Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Venting a riser

Pete_24
Pete_24 Member Posts: 39
I have a 1 1/4 inch riser at the end of my cold side (2 inch) main. The main is vented with a Gorton 2 and heats all the way across very quickly and within a few seconds of my hot side (3 inch) main (also vented with a Gorton 2).

The 1 1/4 inch riser unfortunately feeds two radiators (one on the 2nd off the 1 1/4 and the other on the 3rd off a 1 inch that connects in to the 1 1/4 somewhere in the wall). I've vented all radiators in the house with Gortons based on their size and distance, but want to speed up the steam getting to these two furthest radiators. Even with no vent on the third floor radiator it's not heating up as much as I'd like it to during a steam cycle and I can't say I'm overly thrilled with the second floor radiator either. The boiler is properly sized.

I can't do anything to check the pitch or condition of the pipes feeding these radiators without tearing my walls apart.

What's the best way to vent this riser? Would I put some type of fitting off the top 1 inch. pipe and connect the riser 'main vent' there and the radiator valve on the other side? What type of fitting would give me a 90 degree 1 inch and a 1/4 or 1/8 inch tapping off the side or top where I could put the riser main vent?

Would a Gorton 1 be useful given that a Gorton D / or no vent on the radiator didn't make a difference or would it be better get a 1/4 inch tapping and put a Gorton 2 there?

Comments

• mike jones_3
    mike jones_3 Member Posts: 3
    venting a riser

dont know why no one saw your old post. its a good question.

we are trying to find out if its a good idea to follow a steam guy's suggestion that we put a t at the top of the riser where it catches the top radiator and put a gorton 1 on that t.

ps. with no vent, you should be getting steam, so something else may well be wrong - can you tell us if and how your problem was solved? thanks much
This discussion has been closed.