Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Buderus G115-21 install ( Ron Jr. )

Options
2»

Comments

• Dale
    Dale Member Posts: 1,317
    Options
    Second pict.

Really nice job Ron, having you and K there is like someone needing a fresco painted in old Florence and having M and DV do the work. I noticed what looks like a radiator cover to the right of the second picture, showed that to one of my new guys to reinforce your lwco, do you always install a lwco even if there's no low radiation? I like the separate flow controls, servicable long after I hang up the tools.
  • Bob Bona_2
    Bob Bona_2 Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Brian

Your post was not out of line as far as I'm concerned. As you and I being small business owners, we know when- and have the right to- pull the plug on a potential problematic client, whether or not they actually validate that suspicion down the road. Not saying this particular one was...

Ron works for Meenan Oil, a huge company. Their sales suits can, and have the time to woo a sale knowing any down time or extra grief can be more than compensated for in oil sales and service contracts.

Ron needs to understand the difference between a a biz owners perspective, and an employees view of things.
  • EJW
    EJW Member Posts: 321
    Options
    Sticker

Nice finish off with the Dead Men sticker!

EJW
  • We started

throwing on a LWCO for every job about 4 years ago . I think it's a code thing . Same with the backflow preventer .

Hey Dale , thanks a million for the compliment . Early on I knew I was no artist , I couldn't even keep the crayon colors in the borders . But getting things straight and level ? That we can try to do .
  • Oh yeah , the wiring ....

Well , when you cut the wires without really checking where they go , and have one extra romex wire and another wire powered even with the boiler switch off .....

That one extra romex went to a powered radiator , sort of like a big kickspace heater . And the hot wire was a den zone thermostat that broke the neutral wire instead of the power wire . Screwed me up for 1/2 hour .

Thanks again Constantin .
  • Next one

I'll be throwing in a black union for the return - just in case .

Back to back worked out sweet . I was going to install them both with the piping close to the wall , but that always makes working on stuff in the back a pain in the **** .

Thanks Ted .
  • It was Taco

and HEAVY . The oil tank boys busted open the shell to get the scrap . I gotta see how big that coil was .
  • UniR

You know ? I was taken back by how small the equipment looks in there too . Had a rough slap back to reality today - a 3 zone V83 in a 4 by 6 " closet " . I forgot to bring my camera , but it came out pretty nice .

Thanks alot man .
  • You heard that old phrase -

If you don't know the answer , you make it up :)

Actually I'm proud that I knew maybe 90 percent of the customer's questions . The other 10 I had help form all you guys .

You gotta remember to cut the response number in half - I respond to everyone who takes valuable time to post a message . Not that I'm narcissistic . It's just the polite thing to do , IMHO .

Thanks alot Scott .
  • Chris

I wish Taco would take a cue from the Argo multizone series - multiple knockouts on bottom AND top . But the lights on the outside are great with Taco .

We left about a foot between the wall and the boiler , and the burner will swing away from the wall . I dunno - we had plenty of room to move the boiler off the wall but it's just in my DNA to move it as close to the wall as possible .

Thanks alot Chris .
  • Thank you Lchmb

It don't matter when you respond , I just appreciate it when you do . Thanks man .
  • Wayne

That's great to hear - about your students seeing some of our work . Believe me , I don't like pushing out the one dayers ( although this one was 2 days ) . I think we live in a niche market where almost every replacement boiler is done in one day . I'd like to hear from other parts of the country about how long the usual 2 or 3 zone system is replaced . Maybe we're not alone ....

Thanks alot Wayne .
  • Al Gregory
    Al Gregory Member Posts: 260
    Options

Absolutly a beautiful job. You should be proud of work like that. I just wish I could find a customer around here that would be willing to pay for a job like that. All I get around here is people that want it as cheap as possible. Tankless coils in pin type boilers is about all that is installed around here. It's a shock when someone actually takes a Super Store over a tankless.
  • D107
    D107 Member Posts: 1,852
    Options
    learned alot from the install

Though I'd seen a big HB Smith steam boiler taken apart to replace the water and fireside seals and gaskets, I never actually saw how a full install was done.

I had thought I might sit and watch the work as a learning experience, but when it came down to it, I felt it would be an intrustion. The work pace is non-stop, requiring great concentration and physical stamina, and I think a constant observer would tend to stifle the atmosphere. I picked my spots and asked my questions.

I was amazed at how the manifolds were designed and placed without working from a drawing. And it's easy to see this is mentally and physically exhausting work.

The Buderus packing materials are quite sturdy--the cardboard looks like plywood as Kenny noted.

The unit, while reportedly quieter than many other similar type boilers, is a bit noisier than what it replaced, but not to a serious degree. (Our basement ceiling is open.) Had I thought of it I would have insulated the joist bays above the boiler, and put soundproofing thick tape on the joists before the sheetrock, which would have cut down on the vibrations. May yet do that someday.

I did not realize that the Taco 503 relay was needed with the Logamatic 2107. Not sure if either control provides for circ exercising, but will be going over the manual soon. There does appear to be constant circulation on Zone 1 during daytime. Very nice feature. As is the purging of the boiler water to the heating zone after hot water is brought up to temp on priority--surprised me when I first saw it. I thought the system was going nuts.

When my mother came down to inspect she blinked in shock and awe at the new grandeur compared to the pile of artless Tees that the Buderus replaced.

Score another one for pumping away. At least one rad and maybe more had not been getting hot for years. It took half an hour for the B&G EAS air separator to work its magic from the PONPC but we were very relieved when they finally all got hot. I also realized that the four motorized convectors all had little thermostats on them to increase or decrease flow --sort of like TRVs--so there is some control over individual rooms.

At the same time we had a new 5" stainless steel chimney lining installed by EM & EM Chimney, insulated throughout with Thermix.

Roth Tank and old steel tank photos attached.

It took me awhile to find the right installer for a properly sized boiler and indirect, and an insulated chimney liner, but it happened. Many thanks to Ron and the Wall for advising me along the way.

David
  • Joe@buderus_2
    Joe@buderus_2 Member Posts: 302
    Options

Hello David, Its nice to see a posting from a H/O complimenting the installer. If you have any questions on the R2107 programming please contact me at joe.kennard@bbtna.com or 1-800-283-3787, extension 1115.
  • Constantin
    Constantin Member Posts: 3,796
    Options
    Looks like you did everything right...
    • Excellent installer, check!
    • Premium boiler, check!
    • Premium insulated stainless chimney liner, check!
    • Premium oil tank, check!
    This is one sweet set-up and it proves yet again that a informed customer is the installers best friend.
  • tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,763
    Options
    Buderus job

Nice looking work Ron, I like to see the plumb and level pipe jobs people can do, not all take the time or pride to do it, refreshing as always. Tim.
  • jim P._2
    jim P._2 Member Posts: 28
    Options
    chimney liner info

David, I live in nassau LI and I am looking for a good chimney liner installer. Can you please give me the contact info for EM and EM.
    Thanks Jim
  • D107
    Options
    Overall chimney co. did a good job

as far as I can see. If it wasn't for the fact that I had a boiler install going on simultaneously I would have done a better job of observing their outside work. The only thing they didn't do was vacuum the bottom cleanout which is rather minor, since much of that we had cleaned out beforehand, and with a liner that cleanout becomes moot (in fact they sealed it.) The new cleanout is within the breaching. When the oil company comes to do their annual tuneup, they can pop the screws on the breeching circular plate cleanout and look through for any unlikely debris. If they find anything in breeching or further in, they can pop more screws to get in further or the chimney company can come and sweep the whole liner and take care of it. Many oil companies neglect the chimney entirely which is a bad idea--especially with the old terra cotta liners--since it takes only a few extra minutes to inspect it and nip blockages in the bud.

I got them from CSIA.org which is a nationally accredited chimney sweep organization. That by itself, however, is no guarantee, but it does narrow the field a bit. EM & EM Chimney is at 516-935-6215. I dealt with Mike Bladford. If you look on the csia site you'll see EM has 6-7 certified chimney sweeps, and for any job they do at least one worker on premises should be certified. Their website is www.chimneymaintenance.com

David
  • Patchogue Phil_29
    Patchogue Phil_29 Member Posts: 121
    Options
    New oil tank and liner

David

Tell us more about the new oil tank. It looks

different of course than the old one. Is there

anything hat makes it "better"?

Was there anything wrong with the old one?

The old one "looked" OK from the picture, but

of course we cannot see inside. Did you see

the inside of it and how'd it look?

Any pics of the liner from the basement

viewpoint BEFORE the boiler was hooked up?

Thanks and enjoy the new system.
  • D107
    Options
    Old tank was 50 yrs old

The advice I got from the wall was to put a new one in with the rest of the new system. (Even though my Dad had pre-emptively had an additional bottom plate welded on years ago; and even though being an inside tank with not too much condensation and the possibility of lasting another 50 years.)

From what I've learned, oil and steel are always going to interreact in a bad way and cause the buildup of sludge. Would have liked to see the tank's insides but they pumped out the remaining oil and took it in one piece out the door. There was no way to pump out sludge on that unit and the corrosion factor was unknowable.

The Roth tanks are inert. (So are tanks by Granby and ZCL.) It is thought that there will be much less sludge buildup, and if there was the top openings are large enough to pump it out. We also have a bulk oil filter on the tank and a fine micron filter on the burner --with vacuum gauge--which should give the burner some good brew.

If you mean photos of the old terra cotta liner beforehand no but I saw it and it was pretty chewed up and there had been over a foot of liner debris at the base. Chimney co.had inspected it and said the same thing. Repairing that would have been costly and less beneficial a result than the stainless steel. Job took 90 minutes.

David
  • David Albertelli
    David Albertelli Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Barometric vent damper

Nice equipment, I've had much success with the Buderus line. Im wondering where's the barometric damper? Next time you may consider mounting the Taco relay on the wall and leave off an outlet for a service light. Loose the cost of the Spiro-vent it's all sales bla bla bla.. Hydronic heat is about air management not removal. you can't remove air from water but you can manage it. nice job.
  • D107
    Options
    photo showing barometric vent damper

• David Albertelli
    David Albertelli Member Posts: 2
    Options

I see, nice job. If I were a home owner I'd be very pleased with the quality work that you’ve done. It’s a servicing dream to work on something so well put together as your system. Unfortunately I just came from repairing a boiler that was left in just the opposite condition from on of our competitors. Check out the primary hanging from the wires and the leaking gauge glass running into it. The low water cut off probably hasn’t worked in years. Boiler was just given a clean bill of health by the local oil company three months ago when homeowner purchased the house. This is exactly as it was when I walked through the door.
  • lekpeter
    lekpeter Member Posts: 35
    Options
    Bypass

Great looking installation!

I'm sorry if I can't see it in the pics, but did the system require a bypass to prevent excessive cold water return temps?

Thanks

Lek
This discussion has been closed.