Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Buderus G115-21 install ( Ron Jr. )

Options
No need to apoligize to me .

I do understand what you're saying . For my first 10 years in the business I replaced steamers in the city . The majority of homeowners just let us in , pointed us to the boiler room , and we didn't see them till the end of the job .

Working in Nassau and Suffolk for the last 10 years is a whole different ballgame . Not all , but most homeowners ask question while we work . A good number of them will pull up a chair and watch us doing our thing . The ones that do always ask if it's ok to watch . I never said no . It's actually nice to see people interested in what we do .

Thanks Brian for the compliment . Are you in the installation dept over there ?

Comments

• This house was in

Franklin Square , Long Island . We got the lead through this website ( thanks alot Dan ) . The customer requested me and Kenny to do the install . He really did his homework too . Had a few heatloss calculations done , figured out which size circs were needed , and is a frequent visitor here to find out info from the best . I never met a customer who knew so much about the system . He had me stumped more than a few times with some questions :)

This Hydrotherm boiler is a new one for me . I only seen them in gas models . The front has a built in coil but they abandoned it for the sidearm coil and long storage tank . That setup worked on gravity alone . I think this boiler was coupled into a wood boiler at some point too . The wiring was so messed up , I gave up and cut everything without tracking 'em all down . A big mistake later on ......
  • Buderus

G 115-21 , ST - 150 indirect heater , Logamatic R2107 ....... the works .

I was amazed at how quiet it ran . I remember the last one we installed was a roarer . But this was a nice suprise .

I also like the little extras like studs and nuts to mount the Riello . And the heavy duty jacket that can take a pounding and still be intact .

Only had 2 issues - the adapter bushings / gaskets for the return and drain ports . I'd rather have a stronger joint for the return - it loosened up on us during the install . An adapter nipple like the supply port has would be a great idea .

Overall , it's a well thought out and well engineered piece of equipment .
  • Constantin
    Constantin Member Posts: 3,796
    Options
    ... and installed by one of the best in the biz.

The new install makes up in orderliness what the before picture lacked... sort of like the ying and yang of heating. I really like how you supported the iron header and put a cap on the end in case you ever want to expand further/add more zones.

The way you positioned the G115 makes cleanouts very easy and the expansion tank couldn't be easier on the maintenance tech that may have to replace it in the future.

Between the full-port valves, the plentiful purging drains, and the blocks under both boiler and indirect, my guess is that this setup will look a lot better in 20 years than the boiler it just replaced.

I guess I'm not crazy about mounting circulators right over the electronics, but you have a much better idea where and when things leak than I ever will. Besides, for all I know the electronics are well sealed inside that plastic pod that Buderus likes to use.

So, I presume that the homeowner is ecstatic and will be moreso in the future when their comfort levels increase (more hot water) while the fuel bills decrease. As always, a tip of the hat to you and your install. Congrats!
  • EJW
    EJW Member Posts: 321
    Options
    Buderus

Ron, great looking as usual. Are you now installing lights over your installs so people can see your super looking work? :)

EJW
  • Joe@buderus_2
    Joe@buderus_2 Member Posts: 302
    Options
    Nice job!

As usual nice work. With a little planning and pride it is amazing how neat a job can look.
  • Brian_11
    Brian_11 Member Posts: 18
    Options
    I think...

• clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,113
    Options
    excellent

Ron as always excellent job ,how many days was this one or was ot a one dayer also what did you think of the set up with the logamatic controller.As always with your work evevrything is on the square and level neat and clean great looking install .The HO will be loving there fuel saving espically with a indirect over the sidearm storage set up they had and it looks as always a brezze to clean with good access to the base excellence ,I would gather you been pumping them out daily as always ?Peace and good luck clammy
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating
  • Brian_11
    Options
    I'm pretty sure...

we bid on this too Ron. This guy wasted a lot of our time and we finally blew him off. He had too many questions and researched this job to death. My service manager (who really knows Buderus) could not take this guy anymore. I think he was doing this for his mom or something.

An oil company is probably the only kind of company that could underwrite this job. He just took up too much of our time for a job we didn't know we were going to get. He went over that line of "unprofitable" for us.

But nice job by you and crew as usual.

Brian Gelber

• Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,541
    Options
    Nice job!

I've done a number of G115's lately and am convinced the BTU ratings are way low on these,tremendous amount of heat transfer area in relation to the firing rate. Did you remove jacket to bring boiler in?

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • Ray Landry
    Ray Landry Member Posts: 203
    Options

Ron, flawless as usual! It's nice to have a homeowner who is educated too, you know they appreciate the product you're putting in. Was this your first logomatic? What did you think of the programming? The riello burners just purr away on those boiler, always run great. Did you have to pull the baffles out to get your stack temp above 330? Also a word of advice go by the BUDERUS instructions on burner mounting not the riello instructions. Don't go a 1/4 inch back from the refractory wall, go with the insertion depth listed on the buderus chart stapled to the front. I made that mistake a few times in the past.. What size circs did you end up going with for the hyrdonic loops? they look like 007's but cant really tell.
  • aaron_4
    aaron_4 Member Posts: 42
    Options
    question

Why use black iron on the supply instead of copper? And do you have a wire diagram of what you have installed looks like. I think your install looks awesome.
  • Brian

We're living in a new age now . Literature on everything we install is at the fingertips of every potential customer . They are just going to get smarter and savvy about the equipment they want and our opinions on it . The days of walking in a home and selling equipment in 5 minutes flat are coming to an end .

Sure the customer had a lot of questions . So did I when I was looking to buy a new van , a new tv , washer / dryer , got some lanscaping done ( not all at once - I ain't rich ) . Does that make me a pain in the **** ? Answering questions is all part of the job and if you don't have enough time for it you're going to lose a chunk of good customers . Speaking of which , the customer said he didn't want to bother us with questions during the install , but he would like to go over things afterwards . Again , no problem with me .

When you answer every question to the best of your knowlege , and install the job the best you can , he or she is a customer for life . And you know that customer for life will not hesitate to recommend you to other people .

Now I have a few questions for you .

Do you think writing about a bad situation you had with a prior pontential customer , on a public forum the prior pontential frequents regularly , would help or hinder any work that comes your way from this website ? Was this some type of parting shot ?

And why would you think any part of this job had to be " underwritten " ? You have some intimate details of my own company that I don't ?
  • Hey Constantin

Yep , that support worked out well . I stopped at home cheapo yesterday after the job and got the rod and clamps . Kenny kept part of the crate the boiler came in , we used the wood for the ceiling support . And man , do these things come shipped for hard handling . I never seen such thick cardboard surrounding the boiler .

The circs are to the right of the Logomatic . With the isolation valves around the circs there's minimal chance the control will get splashed . But who are we kindding ? Those Taco 007s will outlast you and me :)

I have to say the customer was very pleased with the outcome . We had some issues with 3 convectors that wouldn't heat . 2 of them had the bleeders under the convectors ?!? But they eventually pulled through and got hot .

Thanks alot Constantin for the shot in the arm .
  • Lights ...... Camera .......

Well ...... the customer picked up the light fixture and we installed it for him . Same with the 5/8 sheetrock for the ceiling . Added maybe 1/2 hour to the job for both and made the house a little safer and the boiler easier to work on .

Thanks alot EJW .
  • Thanks Mark

I used a 3/4 by 3 nip and ell for the boiler drain - worked like a charm . I couldn't bring myself to thread the boiler drain right in .
  • You got

that right Joe . I could work more on the planning phase though . Thanks for the help behind the scenes and the compliment .
  • The jacket stayed on

We had just enough room to bring the boiler down in the crate . Me and Kenny lifted it out of the crate in the handholds of the jacket . Strong outer shell on this boiler . I didn't get a chance to time the indirect heatup . I've been doing it for all the combo boiler / indirect jobs we install .

Thanks Robert .
  • Al Corelli_2
    Al Corelli_2 Member Posts: 395
    Options
    Real nice!!!

Great install.

Really like the circ mounting.

You are a true artist.

Even the oil line is pin straight.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• brucewo1b
    brucewo1b Member Posts: 638
    Options
    I'd fi that hole in the smoke pipe,

> G 115-21 , ST - 150 indirect heater , Logamatic

> R2107 ....... the works .

>

> I was amazed at how

> quiet it ran . I remember the last one we

> installed was a roarer . But this was a nice

> suprise .

>

> I also like the little extras like

> studs and nuts to mount the Riello . And the

> heavy duty jacket that can take a pounding and

> still be intact .

>

> Only had 2 issues - the

> adapter bushings / gaskets for the return and

> drain ports . I'd rather have a stronger joint

> for the return - it loosened up on us during the

> install . An adapter nipple like the supply port

> has would be a great idea .

>

> Overall , it's a

> well thought out and well engineered piece of

> equipment .

• Black iron

I like the sturdiness of the steel . And it's easier to transition to the threaded parts . With copper you'd have to adapter it back for the circs .

No wiring diagram . It's pretty straightfoward though . The LWCO powers everything . We powered the indirect circ from the Logamatic . And we powered the Taco relay from the Logamatic too . Buderus gives you a ton of schematics with the control .

The only part that tripped me up was the den thermostat . Since I was in a rush to get the boiler out ( chimney guys were coming ) I just cut 'em without looking . Turns out the den thermostat was breaking the neutral side . I shoulda known it right from the get-go because we see this in Levittown all the time . That was another 1/2 hour brain fart . A simple preference relay knocked it down to low voltage .

Thanks alot Aaron .
  • brucewo1b
    brucewo1b Member Posts: 638
    Options
    I'd fix that hole in the smoke pipe,

you can see daylight right through it, or is that a little moonshine in place of Dr Pepper, all kidding aside great looking install Ron.
  • Haha

it's a pizza plate , we ran out of caps . I was going to bring my signature drink , IBC root beer . But it looks too much like a beer bottle . Thanks Bruce .
  • Al

The circ manifold is what'll make or break a good install . I cringe when I see the manifold go out of a tee on a tangent . The double swing on this manifold made us able to get it all straight .

Thanks alot man . How are things a little north of here ?
  • Brian_11
    Options
    ron...

Please don't take my comments the wrong way. I meant them as a compliment. A compliment for not only your workmanship but your ability to convert a tough customer that I admit I could not handle to a customer that you were able to satisfy.

...and I mean that sincerely.

My apoligies if I spoke out of line. I meant no harm just maybe a little venting on my part which I see a lot of guys do on this forum.
    I continue to admire your work.

Brian
  • Mark Hunt
    Mark Hunt Member Posts: 4,909
    Options
    Like I said

Freaks me out every time.

Question, why haven't you folks swithched over to the Taco IFC's? Not that there is anything wrong with the flow checks, but the IFC's would shorten your day.

Mark H

• I think

I've installed 15 to 20 various Buderus boilers . Maybe 5 had the R2107 . Most had the R2109 . I didn't get into the programming too far . I set the basics and left the advanced programming in the very capable hands of the customer .

The net stack temp came out at 325 with all the baffles in . I think it'll work great venting into the brand new 5 inch SS liner and Thermix surrounding the liner . The burner was preset on the insertion depth and the numbers were spot - on . Is the 1/4 inch from the door refractory a new setting ? We had some issues with a Buderus a few years ago and I think it was set at that depth . I'll check my pics to see what model it was .

The circs were all 007 which worked out well when we sized them up . Seriously , this is ome sweet system .

Thanks Ray .
  • We use IFCs mostly

The customer requested separate flow valves . The IFCs have a tendency to hang up easier with debris than flow valves do . It is a rarity with the IFCs , but it does happen .
  • Al Corelli_2
    Al Corelli_2 Member Posts: 395
    Options
    Busy Season

Buddy,
    The Heating Season has been thrust upon us. 14-19 hour days are becoming the norm. Weekends are booked till December. I hate working weekends. Good thing I don't have any kids.

What "grinds my gears" are the people that wait till NOW to think about having their systems cleaned, even after mailers were sent out with discounts for summer cleanings in May.

But, to answer your question, we are doing OK.

But still, we establish a "triage" system and hopefully everyone is happy.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• This was a 2 dayer

I insisted on that . Even 2 days wasn't enough . I wanted more time to go over the control with the customer , but it was late already and I started early . I was seeing hallucinations at the end ......

Just me and Kenny for the 2 days . The oil tank boys were there but they worked on ..... the oil tank . They did take all the scrap and junk , which was good .

We were talking about you today . The customer was talking about a post you responded to and Kenny said " There's a guy named Clammy ? "

Thanks alot man , I always enjoy your kind words .
  • Uni R_2
    Uni R_2 Member Posts: 589
    Options
    Hey Ron!

You know... even with that job having a fancy foreign boiler and the whole works in a space the size of every other previous closet or under the staircase job that you and your home boys ever did (all that stuff still looks small for that space oddly enough), the craftsmanship is bar none the best and it is all done at a truly superhuman speed!!! It would make great TV - even though you guys would sure have to make a lot of finally being out of the closet jokes for this Buderus episode!!!
  • Constantin
    Constantin Member Posts: 3,796
    Options
    Oh, those are iso valves?

The pic was a bit small, I couldn't tell! In that case, you've more than covered the bases.

Now, what was the issue with cutting all thqat wiring... you sort of left that dangling... (no pun intended) If I understand a later post, the wiring there was not standard and thus a head-scratcher? I'm simply asking because I'm interested, if it takes too long to explain, I understand that too.

So, congratulations again!
  • Mark Hunt
    Mark Hunt Member Posts: 4,909
    Options
    I'll keep that in mind

I haven't had an issue yet with internal FC's, but your experience is good info.

Never say never. Right?

Mark H

• ScottMP
    ScottMP Member Posts: 5,884
    Options
    Great job Ron

Man I looked at this and thought " How did I miss this post " . Then I realised, you posted it and in one day you got 32 responces. Whats that tell ya man. People like your work.

It is tought some time when the customer has more questions than you can answer. You handled it like the pro you are.

Nice work.

Scott

• J.C.A._3
    J.C.A._3 Member Posts: 2,981
    Options
    Ron Jr.,

And a differenrt color BLUE! Nice job brother.

Don't you wish that Taco would make the controls for either right or left side mounting? (to see all the pretty lights when they're mounted on the right side , they either have to be mounted upright like this, or we/the h.o. has to go out back to see them)

Good thing those doors "swing both ways" with the boiler up against the wall like that! Great job Ron. Chris
  • lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    Options
    Jeesh

Guess I'm a little late posting on this one. Everyone pretty much covered what I thought when I saw it. Awsome job, your attention to detail is incredible Ron, keep up the good work!!
  • Wayco Wayne_2
    Wayco Wayne_2 Member Posts: 2,479
    Options
    Hey Ron

I like it a lo,o,o,ot. :O. I always love the pictures you share. Esp the before and after aspects. It helps the rest of us know what can be done and what the standard should be. I show them to my night class when I can. At least they now know there's more to boiler work than chop and drop. WW

• John White
    John White Member Posts: 120
    Options
    Sidearm

Ron,
    Just curious...who's sidearm heater was that??? That at one time was our core product, and it;s green.
    Just wondering. John
  • Ted_9
    Ted_9 Member Posts: 1,718
    Options
    G115

Nice work. I like the back to back set up. I've always wanted to set one up like that.

I know what your saying with the loosened return bushing. Its has happened to us as well. We just support the return with threaded rod, rings and plates etc. and now there is no movement and loosening in the return any more. Its standard for us to use rings and plates on the supply and returns anyway.

• D107
    D107 Member Posts: 1,852
    Options
    Happy Customer

Hey Ron,

Thanks to you and Kenny for the great install. Pleasure 'working' with you. That new Roth tank is something else too. I also give Meenan Oil credit for allowing me to specify your crew for the job. Have more to say about what I learned but no time til tomorrow.

To Johnny White the old green pieces were the Taco 2004T Tankless and a John Wood stone-lined 66 gallon tank. Ron's pic shows them after insulation was removed. Think it dates from the 60s. Tankless was placed at a height low enough so as not to require a circulator. Can't imagine what the recovery was but with a family of 5 never ran out of HW...--of course the boiler was over 2x required size.

Enjoy the 'boiler at sunset' photo with the new addition.

Thanks,

David
This discussion has been closed.