Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

power vent vs chimney liner

Options
Pinball
Pinball Member Posts: 249
Personally, I've never seen a motor/blower fail on a conventional chimney. It's not a matter of WILL it fail. BUT WHEN?...probably @ 2am when it's 10*below on christmas eve!
Just be sure to provide enough fresh combustion air to the mechanical room for all the appliances. Reguardless of which one you use.

Comments

• Jim_83
    Jim_83 Member Posts: 67
    Options
    power vent vs chimney liner

I am replacing an oil fired steam boiler with a gas fired steam boiler. The contractors tell me that if I use the existing chimney I need a liner. Instead of the chimney liner I can use a power vent model.

The existing chimney has an atmospheric gas steam boiler and two water heaters in addition to the existing oil fired boiler. So there are 4 appliances using one chimney. Inside dimensions of the unlined brick chimney is 8 inches by 8 inches.

What would you folks recommend for a venting option on the replacement boiler – power vent or chimney and the reasons why?

If I go with the chimney liner, what type of liner do you recommend? Aluminum, stainless steel or AL29-4C?

Thank you in advance for your advice.
  • lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    Options

• captbuderus
    captbuderus Member Posts: 10
    Options
    liner etc

I would line with stainless and I would install a oil boiler with a gas power burner. Better equipment, could get it with domestic coil and it allows a easy conversion back to oil if you choose.
This discussion has been closed.