Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

wave of the future

Options
Bob Harper
Bob Harper Member Posts: 1,036
I just got back from Atlanta from the Hearth, Patio, and BBQ Assn's annual EXPO. One of the top awards given went to Heat& Glo's AQUEOUS fireplace. This unit looks like a 3 ft. high metal hoop shaped like a flame but open much like a firewood rack. At the base is the small rectangular box burner with a pretty blue flame. This fireplace burns WATER! Yup! It converts tap water into hydrogen and oxygen, burns them producing CO2 and water vapor! They've already sold one of the 5 they're planning to build this yr. but you can have one for a mere $50,000.00

In our Tech Cmte. meeting this morning, we discussed the formation of an ASTM Task Force on outdoor woodburning hydronic heaters, which are common in the North Central and Northeast. I can tell you the EPA is all over the Northeast for PM2.5 emissions, which will affect oil heat to some degree. as will overall air pollution as this topic heats up( pardon the pun). We have another task force studying the issue of LNG supplies and how they might affect gas burner technology as we start importing more gas. We also have a task force on chimney liner best practices. We are monitoring ASHRAE 62.2, numerous EPA, IAQ, and energy initiatives. As I'm on the Standards Technical Panel (STP)for UL 103 and 127, I'll keep you posted on any issues that might affect the Wet Heads. Bob

Comments

• Mark Eatherton1
    Mark Eatherton1 Member Posts: 2,542
    Options
    Shirley..

you jest... Wait until DAle gets a hold of this one:-) Water that burns. So much for cheap bottled water. Now the rates we be MORE than gasoline. Wait a minute, they ALREADY ARE!!!

I don't know, there's a shortage of water and all... Maybe we should keep using a technology that also generates CO instead of one that produces steam...

Can't wait to see more on it. It's probably a electolytic process creating hydrogen...

ME
  • LKE
    LKE Member Posts: 21
    Options
    sounds miraculous

I am curious as to how this burner can have a combustion product of water vapor and co2, burning hydrogen typically only produces h2o. Producing hydrogen from water is also not normally very economical, is this the breakthrough so long awaited?
  • Bob Harper
    Bob Harper Member Posts: 1,036
    Options
    Where'd the carbon come from?

Aha! You figured it out. There isn't any carbon directly associated with just hydrogen. It comes in trace amounts from impurities and crap in the air since this is open to the room. Enclose this in a clean combustion chamber and it would be a ventfree you could burn under your nose so to speak. Capturing the water vapor released so it doesn't ruin the house would be the next challenge. Yes, 99.9% is water so the byproduct of combustion is it's own fuel. As pointed out, now if only the process of separating hydrogen and oxygen could be done by the same energy released by the reaction, we would have harnessed the sun.
    For more on this funky novelty, you can go to www.fireplaces.com and check out the Heat&Glo site.
This discussion has been closed.