Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

steam drip

Has anyone ever heard of a "drip pan elbow"?
Its on top of a boiler, on the outlet side of the relief valve. 1" line.


  • Brad White_2
    Brad White_2 Member Posts: 188
    Drip Pan Elbow or DPE

    is a device at the outlet of a steam relief valve. It consists of an upward nozzle which inserts itself into a larger vent pipe conducted to atmosphere. The "drip pan" is just that, below and larger than the main vent opening. The purpose is two-fold; 1) to catch drips from discharge or rain that would build up on top of the relief valve seat, and 2) to provide a "disconnect" or decoupling from the vent pipe to the relief valve. This prevents vent line stresses from affecting the valve itself.

    Spence Regulator/Spence Engineering carries them, or markets them as made by Lonergan.


    Drip Pan Elbows

    Manufacturers and their figure numbers
    Kunkle 299
    Lonergan DPE
    Consolidated 1665 1666 1667
    Crosby EFS
    Keckley 299

    * Features
    * Sizes 3/4" - 10"
    * Cast Iron and cast steel DPE / 299
    * Flanged and screwed connections

    Hope this helps!
This discussion has been closed.