Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Plumbing Inspector.....

Options
2»

Comments

• mp1969
    mp1969 Member Posts: 226
    Options
    Last but not least!

> I feel like I've just been kicked in b@ªZ's.

> Pretty strong posts guys. If I had feelings they

> would be pretty hurt at this point. John, if this

> is your first non-residential job and your first

> experience with a state inspector YOU should have

> been on site to avoid any miscommunications that

> may have arose. I may be an exception to this

> blanket hate for inspectors in that I own a

> medium size ALL UNION shop that, well lets just

> say does a fair amount of commercial & industrial

> work as well as some rather large heating plants.

> I will agree that some inspectors are in fact WAY

> over the top, but I can honestly say I HAVE NEVER

> FAILED AN INSPECTION in my 30 years in this

> biz..Why? because I trust no one. Any time I have

> a "First meet" with a new inspector or one I

> don't know, I go there. I've had a bunch want to

> fail me but could never embrace the code like I

> have. I have no life. Pipe is my life. Its

> unfortunate you had this situation and I

> ultimatly feel you'll be victorious in your

> pursuit for the "GOOD STICKER" but when you do

> the type of work I do, you could pass an

> inspection standing on your head. The code or

> regulations are "MINIMUM" standards IMHO. Pretty

> easy stuff. I probably could of helped you with

> one call to the right guy...Good day! Robert

> O'Connor/NJ/Construction Official/Building &

> Plumbing HHS Sub Code Official/Master Plumber

• mp1969
    mp1969 Member Posts: 226
    Options
    Last but not least!

Mr O' Connor ( you said it all )
    A long time ago I sat in on a conversation with my brother and an inspector. We both agreed that inspectors are not only necessary but in fact our only hope for uniform installations and enforcement.
    You learn to do work to code and use diplomacy with new inspectors until they get a feel for your work and professionalism. I too have never had a code violation that stopped a job or approval. Years ago I used to think that some of the requirements were off base but after understanding the intent of code requirements I learned to go with the flow (if you will)
    In this day and age of garage mechanics and box stores inspectors are our only source for code compliance and sanity for our trade. Yes you do find difficult peolple in all walks of life but when all is said and done inspectors are one of our close allies.
    Don't lump inspectors in a category of failed contractor! Most are very professional and knowledgable !
    After over 35 years doing everything from privies at State parks to hospital projects I believe I speak from experience
    Currently licensed as a Master plumber in Wisconsin but have held master licenses in Georgia,Michigan and Minnesota when I used to run projects in those states.

Code knowledge and a willingnerss to compromise should handle this problem!!

MP 1969
  • Ray_7
    Ray_7 Member Posts: 16
    Options
    Robert.......

Re read my posts above, please. This is not my first state inspection. At no time did I bash plumbing inspectors, did I?

If I am reading and understanding your post correctly, you are assuming that the inspection did not pass because the work was not done properly, right? If I am misunderstanding you, then please set me straight.

The work was done correctly, and to code, and conformed with the approved drawing on the permit application. The reason this inspector did not pass the job was because he didn't want to crawl into the crawlspace to inspect the plumbing there. His demand for us to remove the entire floor made no sense to me, nor did it to his boss.

Let me set the record straight right now, so that there is no confusion or misunderstanding............

I NEVER INTENDED FOR THIS THREAD TO TURN INTO A GENERAL BASHING OF PLUMBING INSPECTORS, OR INSPECTION OFFICES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My company has an excellent reputation with our local (county) inspection office. I have had clients tell me that the inspectors speak very highly of us. The reason for this is that we play by the rules, do quality work, and they recognize this. I have the highest respect for our inspectors, because they also play by the rules. I know that ours is not a unique situation, also. I would guess that the majority of inspectors are intelligent, knowledgeable, good people who do their job to the best of their abilities.

Like any profession, though, there are bound to be some bad apples. Was my inspector a bad apple? I'm not making that statement. He may have just been having a bad day, and decided to take out his frustration on my plumber (which I believe is the case). Will I hold it against him? Absolutely not. All I ask is that I be treated fairly. That's it, and that's all.

Starch
  • Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    Options
    in essence we are inspectors....its part of our work...

now when i miss a nail plate it is one of those deals where i wonder if i am getting too old for this:) however i wouldnt shut another entire job down to install a nail plate. in other words i keep things in perspective. for a building or plumbing inspector to run everyone off the job because the nail plate isnt There would be far and above the necessasary remedy...He NEEDS the correction. and indeed i think it to be our duty to tell him so and to explain that it is a missuse of his "authority".
    when i read the most recent ASHRAE blah blah bla and see something i think needs to be brought to thier attention i give them the lit and suggest they add it to thier readings. yes i do then ask pertinent questions the next time i see them ,to be certain that they are in deed AWARE of the changes. Thats thier job to be informed. that isnt bashing an inspector thats respecting the work we do.
    to tell you the truth i have said these types of things and to date never had any of them overreact. I even remember mentioning a "Six-Pack vacation" when one of the building inspectors was stopped for drinking .his job is probably driving him to drink buh hey very seldom no actually never have i heard that to be a Perk for a city employee...:)
  • KBP&H
    KBP&H Member Posts: 48
    Options
    Inspectors- & - Owners

We had a reno last year, two story / two family, moved the first kitchen sink from inside wall to outside wall under window ( 10'),, Made up a modified P trap ( 2" pipe riser w/ trap ), Ran a extra 1 1/2" vent across ceiling as a loop,, , Called for insp--- HOMEOWNER was there w/ a sub insp ( reg insp @ seminar)Sub inspector started carrying on about where I got my lisc. etc,,, siad the reg town insp would be crazy to pass it , whole bunch of other stuff..... We called in fror a re inspection w/ reg was back,, He passed it w/ no problem ( and this ianpector is very much by the book,,, BUT realized that there was no way to go up 2 stories of outside wall ( 2nd being a different owner ) just to do a different vent style on a sink.. Passed the job and was happy,,,, BUT the owner remembered this all the way to the final payment and had a house inspector( CERT-??????)check it out-- Moral--- Remember Your image w/ the customer and owner-- It's all that matters and If I had known I would have scheduled for a different day!!!!!!!!!!!!
This discussion has been closed.