Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steam Riser

Options
brian_16
brian_16 Member Posts: 1
perhaps an easy question: A steam "riser" is a supply line that continues from floor to ceiling, continuing up to supply additional stories, such as in an apartment building. What is the name for a steam supply line that does not continue up to higher stories? is just a stub on the floor that is there to supply a single radiator? thanks

Comments

• DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,530
    Options
    Still a riser.

I'd call it a riser to the first floor.
    Retired and loving it.
  • bob young
    bob young Member Posts: 2,177
    Options
    branch

a branch line would be the correct piping term
  • DanHolohan
    Options
    Guess I got that one wrong.

;-)
    Retired and loving it.
  • bob young
    Options
    RISERS ,BRANCHES & CROTONS

it takes a big man to stand corrected,Dan. i might not always be right but i am never wrong. lol
  • DanHolohan
    Options
    Heck,

I'm wrong every day. Just ask The Lovely Marianne!
    Retired and loving it.
  • gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    Options
    and if that branch turns vertical?

what do you call that piece that sits vertical? to me its still a riser cause it has to have a different name cause it very likely will be a different size than the runout or branch..dont you think?
    gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

• bob young
    Options
    those damn risers

usually a riser is the pipe that " rises " from one storey to the next. take-offs from tee's off the riser are called branches that supply all the various piping on one floor.a take-off from a horizontal overhead main is considered a branch even though it penetrates the ceiling.in my world anything other type references would be too confusing especially when confering with other mechanics. if i would tell one of my men to cut a tee into a riser i want to be sure he understands the procedure without my being present on the jobsite. wow, this is getting way too technical. lol its only rock n roll
This discussion has been closed.