Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Polaris water heater

I have a customer that has a polaris water heater, mfg'd by American Water Heater. It has a bad ignitor for the HSI. I checked the cross reference I had and found there is no cross for the Norton 271B in the information I had available.

I need a source for the parts.

Does anyone have a clue what the life expectancy is on these units? This one was made the 31st week of 1994, so the 10 year tank warranty is about up. It's on a well water system instead of city/county water.

For now, they are going to their daughters house to shower.

Thanks.

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=159&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>

Comments

• bob young
    bob young Member Posts: 2,177
    NEW HEATER TIME

FURNISH AND INSTALL A NEW 10 YEAR GAURANTEE HEATER ,GET PAID --EVERYONE IS HAPPY. AND CLEAN
  • hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    If that ignitor

has been in there since 1994, that may be a world record :) Try American for a replacement ignitor, you can get a "close one" at Johnstone Supply, but I have heard the new Polaris ones are coated and longer lived??

As for the tank itself, it is stainless steel and may well go another 10 years. Depending on the size and BTU, a new replacement tank could be pushing 3 grand., I wouldn't change the entire tank for a failed ignitor, at that cost.

hot rod

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Jeff try this

Norton 271B is replaced by Norton Igniter distributed by Robertshaw catalog number 41-406.

Link is http://www.hotsurfaceigniters.com/crossreference.html
  • Jeff Lawrence_24
    Jeff Lawrence_24 Member Posts: 593
    Thanks

Timmie,

You da man!

My cross reference dosen't even show the Norton 271B (even though it's in the Johnstone catalog, HR). The catalog does have a RS 41-406 with the correct lead length.

Thanks for the link to the HSI link also. I owe you one at the next WetStock.

Jeff

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Jeff Lawrence_24
    Jeff Lawrence_24 Member Posts: 593
    HSI

Hey Hot Rod,

I installed my 92% furnasty in my crawlspace in October of 1992 and it still has the original HSI. I keep threatening to at least buy a new one to keep as a spare, but usually forget.

Sometimes you're the bug and sometimes you're the windsheild....

Jeff

• David_5
    David_5 Member Posts: 250
    Grainger has one that works also.

I bought the Polaris HSI that was new and improved. The only difference I could see was on the bill.

David
  • Igniters

We have a lot of Polaris water heater in our area (thank you, Bill Clinton) and I usually keep 4 or 5 igniters on my truck.

My notes on Polaris igniters:

Parts & Service (800)999-9515 x269

American Water Heater part #6903768 - $30.40 igniter; good for newer (PBG) models which are after 1991; pre-1991 have code DVPB; add $10 for shipping.

In a pinch, Granger (5E809) has igniters; cut off connector at end and join the wires to the Polaris wires.

A few other good stock items for Polaris are:

#6905055 - ECO

#6905033 - kit; contains ECO, stat board & potentiometer

#6907309 - ignition control module (ICM) w/ pressure switch for models made after 1998

#6907308 - ignition control module (ICM) w/out pressure switch for models made after 1998

• Chopper
    Chopper Member Posts: 1
    owner

I have a Polaris water heater system..it is approximitley 20 years old..in the last 3 months we have replaced the ignitor 4 times..the last one lasted 24hours..and was bought from the Polaris dealer..is there something else going on that would cause the ignitor tobe going out all the time?? The last one doesn't show any damage..
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,441
    Polaris

The tank is probably leaking onto the igniter. You very fortunate to have gotten that many miles out of a Polaris, most don't. I'd replace it.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • When replacing an igniter,

you cannot touch the black igniter material. Doing so will leave a deposit of schmutz on the surface leading to igniter failure.

Did you touch the igniter surface?
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • Wethead7
    Wethead7 Member Posts: 170
    Repeated failures

If you are having repeated failures, it maybe the inducer or vent fan. If those get out of balance they shake. Water has been noted before. These tend to last a long time.
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,852
    Rumor has it...

Alan, I happened to meet with a manufacturer of HSI's at AHR. I asked him about the skin oil on an HSI, and he said it was bunk. Unless you have a LOT of solid grease or oil on your hands, it will not affect the ignitor. I too operated under that principle for many years, until that conversation. I STILL treat them with as much care and respect as I can, but somethings it is virtually impossible to NOT touch the surface of the ignitor.

That rumor was probably started by the same person that claims you should not use anything grittier than a dollar bill to clean up a flame detection rod… That too is bunk.

Both of these items see operating temperatures way in excess of 2000 degrees F. and it takes just a second to burn off any residual skin oil that might be on the surface of the device.

The more you know, the more you learn…

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.