Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Powerpyle

Options
Alan_6
Alan_6 Member Posts: 87
Does the old flat style generator still exist? I was told by my company that it did not exist. Is it wise to try retrofitting a new pilot on a old system that has the flat style powerpyle?

Comments

• Honeywell CS82 Cartridge Pilot

commonly called the "matchbook pilot" is no longer made and Honeywell does not have a replacement.

I have developed a replacement for it however. If you give me your FAX number I will send you step by step directions for replacing it. The replacement is an authorized replacement so you do not have to worry about liability. It will remain a powerpile system using a Q313A Honeywell pilot generator or a General Controls generator both of which put out 750 millivolts.
  • GEO_3
    GEO_3 Member Posts: 67
    Options
    Matchbook

The Matchbook generators may not be in production anymore but they are still available. I bought one last fall. Dont know where you are located try a company thats been in the control biz for a while. Most plumbing supplys probably won't know what you're talking about. They probably stopped production because they lasted too long.
  • Geo, Do you remember

where you purchased it. They are few and far between it would help to know who may still have some. Thanks for your help.
  • Ken_8
    Ken_8 Member Posts: 1,640
    Options
    We just make our own.

We take a new style PP and lay it on a block of steel and pancake that sucker with a 5 pound hand sledge.

When it looks about like a tongue depressor, we know we done good.

Not.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • GEO_3
    Options

I believe it was from Automatic Heating in Providence R.I. I can get you a phone # if you need it
  • No need I live in RI and am aware of

Automatic Heating.Thanks I thought you might be near Alan who asked for help. Alan if you want to try them their number is 401-521-8877. They may ship one to you. They must have found some as the last time I checked with them they did not have any.
  • Ken after that I am sure

it will last for years. You have got to be kidding me. Please don't anyone even read that post that should never be done.
  • GEO_3
    Options
    Tough winter

I had a matchbook on the shelf for years and then used 2 this winter. I even replaced a pg 1. Just when you think all those old floor furnaces are dead and buried out comes one to haunt.
  • Talked to Automatic Heating

this AM, they have not had CS82 cartridges in stock for over five years or even longer. Sorry as I said they are hard to come by. If anyone has a source I would like to know about it as I am sure Alan would also.

In the meantime Alan I faxed you the changeout procedure for that pilot hope that helps.
  • Ken_8
    Ken_8 Member Posts: 1,640
    Options
    Get out

the 5# sledge and the anvil.

I'll make ya all ya want. Guaranteed until they are shipped.

Dollar three eighty a pop.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • BillW@honeywell
    BillW@honeywell Member Posts: 1,099
    Options
    They're extinct...

if any are lingering on some distributor's dusty back shelf, you may get lucky & find one. There is no direct replacement. We still make a 750 millivolt gas valve, the VS820 series and a replacement generator,the Q313 and a replacement pilot burner, the Q327.
  • Bill is that official Honeywell

replacement? If so do they have an instruction on adapting to the thousands of atmospheric gas conversion burners here in New England? If they have an instruction aothorizing this change over I would love to get a copy. The only authorized change over with documentation that I know of right now is the General Controls PG9 A 27 JTL 022 pilot assembly which is now available through White rodgers. My experience with the Q327 is that it will not fit on any of the Bryant, Jantitrol. Roberts Gordon pilot brackets.
  • BillW@honeywell
    BillW@honeywell Member Posts: 1,099
    Options
    No, Tim, it isn't.

There is no direct replacment from Honeywell for this product. I suggested a Millivolt alternative, but it may not work for all applications due to size constraints and design differences. This is NOT a conversion kit like the Y8610U. I guess I'll recall that message.
  • Alan_6
    Alan_6 Member Posts: 87
    Options

• Steve P.
    Steve P. Member Posts: 4
    Options
    Powerpile

I have 3 Honeywell Q302A 1025 which is the direct replacement for the CS82A. Let me know if you need them.
  • Steve P.
    Steve P. Member Posts: 4
    Options
    Steam system conversion

Has anybody done calculations on possible fuel savings of going from a gas fired steam boiler to a gas fired water boiler? (Sorry Dan). Looking at going from a large Cleaver Brooks steam boiler to multiple hot water boilers.
  • Q302 is the cartridge

do you happen to have the entire CS82? If not I will buy one of the Q302's from you e-mail me with a price.
  • GEO_3
    Options
    cs82

Could have sworn it came from Automatic. I will check my records. The only other place would have been Sid Harvey But I will double check.
  • NA
    NA Member Posts: 2
    Options
    NA

please are these Q302 cartriges still available-
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,628
    Options
    No they are

not avaialble but I can fax you a procedure for changing them over contact me at gastc@cox.net
  • NA
    NA Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Purchase Q302 cartridges

Would like to purchase CS82A generators or Q302A cartridges
  • CSP
    CSP Member Posts: 1
    Options
    CS82 Retro

Retrofit for CS82 Cartridge Pilot
  • Tim McElwain
    Options
    Contact me

at gastc@cox.net and give me your postal address and I will send you a copy of the retrofit procedure free.
  • Tim McElwain
    Options
    Yes it will work

the only thing missing will be my step by step instructions on how to properly carry out the change and conduct a pilot safety turn down test. For this I charge a $1,000 a page or if you are nice it is free!
  • pipeking
    pipeking Member Posts: 252
    edited January 2013
    Options
    WHAT!!!

FORA 1000$ U CAN KEEP YOUR S#@&!!!! j/k
  • pipeking
    pipeking Member Posts: 252
    Options
    UHM?

hey tim u have such great insight on this forum, what is it that u have to do to make that replacement work? maybe if u get some extra time u can let me know how it's done, thanks bud!

`lmao, i,m not crazy
This discussion has been closed.