Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

EDR

Options
Am I right when I use 230 BTU's per square foot when sizing steam radiators?

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=53&Step=30">To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"</A>

Comments

• Unknown
    Options

for steam, less for hot water.

Noel
  • Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Mike T., Swampeast MO Member Posts: 6,928
    Options

Most references I find (including Dan's) state 240 btu/hr per sqft EDR (assuming 1psi steam @ 215° in a 70° room).

• Alan(CaliforniaRadiant)Forbes
    Options
    Right on

Thank's guys. This is for a house in SF. They want to change out some of the radiators and I want to get the sizing right.

Best wishes,

Alan

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Mike T., Swampeast MO Member Posts: 6,928
    Options
    A STRANGE thing

about some EDR tables, the ones that show a 10 btu/hr increase in output for each 5° increase in temperature...i.e. 110 btu @ 150°

At 95° (following that progression) the radiator is putting out ZERO btu/hr!!!!

Simple math: 95° is (11 * 5) or 55° lower than 150°.

11 "increments" times 10 = 110. 110 - 110 = 0 btu/hr @ 95°

IMPOSSIBLE!!!!!

Some of the radiators in my house heat the space to 70° when 8° outside (design temp) with a surface temperature LESS than 95°!!!!! This IS verified, I promise.

By using this formula I was able to quite accurately predict the surface temperature of a radiator (measured top, center) based on outside temperature:

Rad Output = (surface temp - room temp) * 1.5 * sqft EDR. This DOES NOT THOUGH have a 1psi STEAM rad putting out 240 btu/hr/sqftEDR!

I really believe some tables have an error that comes mainly from a delta-t error regarding water vs. steam!!!!!!
This discussion has been closed.