Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

DHW heater/ radiant seperation

Hey Hotrod,

I built this one to isolate the antifreeze mixture for a backup power generator. The generator needed to maintain 115 deg. all year long.The primary side runs off of an indirrect DHW heater.

Look how proud it's Papa looks.

G.man

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,018
    At first

look the money for this nicely built HX module looks prohibitive.

Crunch the numbers my fellow heads of wet :)

I mounted, piped, filled and ran this system two hours after driving up to the job. The radiant tube had been previously installed in the small 225 square foot kitchen remodel.

Pretty darn good bang for the bucks when using a current WH and wanting piece of mind from the combined DHW/ radiant system risk and liabilty potential. Bet I couldn't buy 8 hours of attorney time for the cost of this isolation panel.

This Danfoss ZCP even had a nifty little reset/ setpoint control on the HX!

hot rod
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Yeah

You can't beat a water heater for doing double duty on those small radiant jobs. And that Danfoss ZCP does such a nice job in such a small box.

Nice work, hr.

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • A closer look

Danfoss also makes a nice isolation panel.

This kept me buissy for about 5-6 hours.

Makes more sense to buy them out of the box.

G.man
  • Wayco Wayne_2
    Wayco Wayne_2 Member Posts: 2,479
    Nice work Gary

I like the pretty colors too. I've built my own on site, but must admit they didn't look as nice as yours or Danfosses for that matter. A previous post was asking what he could do with his down time. You should have him make panels for you. :)WW

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Wayco Wayne_2
    Wayco Wayne_2 Member Posts: 2,479
    It's a great idea

I went to a Danfoss training seminar last month. Great stuff although I do struggle with the cost. My Scottish heritage keeps me tight. I've built many heat exchanger panels on site to get dual use from water heaters, but it is a definite time burner. You come out of the basement and scratch your head and say how did it get so dark out??? I've got a price book from Danfoss but my local supplier can't seem to get me a multiplier. (I bet if I did as much purchasing and Foley Mechanical they'd respond more better.)

• heatboy
    heatboy Member Posts: 1,468
    I'll bet.......

once you plug in labor and equipment numbers, you won't be too far off from the cost of the ZCP. Huge labor savings with the ZCP. I will admit, if you have the time to make the panel yourself, you can put more money in your pocket. It all comes down to time management. At my business costs, I can't make a panel this nice for the money I spend buying this particular ZCP.

hb

heatboy

The Radiant Whisperer

"The laws of physics will outweigh the laws of ecomomics every time."
  • Michael B
    Michael B Member Posts: 179
    I guess an old

dog can teach new tricks (just kidding). I have a perfect application for this particular ZCP panel...thanks!

Michael Bleier
    Able Distributors
    www.abledistributors.com
    "The Supplier Who Works With You"
  • Danfoss panel VS homemade

Yeah Heatboy, but they do not make diamondplated ones. I've seen some of your control panels. More like multimedia sculpture than plumbing. Nice work.

Nice website too.
    Is everything you do that neat?

G.man
This discussion has been closed.