Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

newbie question

Options
Dave_9
Dave_9 Member Posts: 2
Gentlemen, this is an excellent site, I have learned a lot in the weeks I have been lurking. Now, I am in search of some unbiased advice. I have a 100 year old house with a single pipe steam system heated by an oil burner that is over 50 years old. The boiler has been very well maintained over the years but I know I am on borrowed time. I'm looking into the idea of replacing the boiler and now would be a good time to get some opinions while I still have the luxury of not being forced into a quick decision. What are some of the advantages/disadvantages to gas, oil and heat exchangers and what manufacturers do you all prefer to work with? I'm familiar with all the propaganda from both the oil and gas companies but I am hoping for a somewhat more practical opinion from people that actually use the goods they install and service. Of course, I am hoping that some preventative maintenance will prolong my decision but it never hurts to be prepared. The house is a two family, three story detached wood frame in New York City if that has any bearing on your advice.

Many thanks for your opinions.

Comments

• Al Letellier
    Al Letellier Member Posts: 781
    Options
    newbie question

Welcome to the wall Dave. To try and answer your qusetion, oil has approx. 40% more BTU's available than an equal amount of natgas. With equipment being somewhat equal in operating efficiency, oil is the way to go. Check prices in your area and available service. The gas utility here in ME has discontinued their service and rely on us independents to pick up the slack (some deal, huh).
    You are in the heart of Weil Mclain country and I feel it's the best steam boiler available in the market place. Go to find a contractor and get a good boiler pro to help you out.
    Good luck!

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • MIKE6
    MIKE6 Member Posts: 102
    Options
    Oil-gas

Most heating guys i know have gas in their homes.I even have an oil fuel dealer I sub for that has gas heat and requests I don't reveal this to his customers.A major con cern is the oil tank.
  • Dave_9
    Dave_9 Member Posts: 2
    Options

Al and Mike,
    thanks for taking the time to reply. Your answers were much appreciated. Also thanks to the folks that replied off the board.

Dave
This discussion has been closed.