Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Furnace sounds like a tea kettle

Options
froglegs
froglegs Member Posts: 3
I have a 2 year old- 4 ton heat pump. Sometimes when the heat turns on, it makes a very loud squealing noise, like a teakettle. Anyone know what it might be and how to fix it? It's not the motor. It sounds like it's in the coils somewhere, but it only lasts a few seconds (10-20) then it quits. Runs fine, just nerve racking, esp. in the middle of the night! I never heard it in the summer when the AC ran- only since we started using the heat this year.

Comments

• froglegs
    Options
    furnace sounds like a tea kettle

I have a 2 year old- 4 ton heat pump. Sometimes when the heat turns on, it makes a very loud squealing noise, like a teakettle. Anyone know what it might be and how to fix it? It's not the motor. It sounds like it's in the coils somewhere, but it only lasts a few seconds (10-20) then it quits. Runs fine, just nerve racking, esp. in the middle of the night! I never heard it in the summer when the AC ran- only since we started using the heat this year.
  • Floyd
    Floyd Member Posts: 429
    Options
    Sounds like the .....

reversing valve is sticking a bit .... won't hurt anything... just sounds bad and is annoying.

Floyd
  • ta finnegan
    ta finnegan Member Posts: 121
    Options
    Inside or out.

The noise you hear is coming from the outside? or inside?

When you say your heard it at night I thought twice about the reversing valve since that is on the outdoor unit.

If it is coming from the inside unit on start up of heat, it could be the coil expanding in the heat cycle, thus you would not hear it in the summer.

Let me know.

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • froglegs
    Options
    squealing furnace

It's inside the house. There is some sort of little valve(?)that the noise seems to be originating from but it is hard to say for sure.It has a sticker on it that says something like "caution: TXV has internal check-replace with identical part" It doesn't make the noise all the time. Sometimes it will quit for a week or so, then when you least expect it, it starts again.
  • EDDIE GRIERSON_2
    EDDIE GRIERSON_2 Member Posts: 32
    Options
    noise

Is your unit a York? I was thinking that you have a York because you can see the TXV. A TXV is a metering device. I have had problems with a few customers Yorks making the noise you are describing. You should here it the cooling mode. Usually the noise starts off radomly and eventually the TXV stops working.
This discussion has been closed.