Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Finding tubes in concrete

Options
RichF
RichF Member Posts: 3
I'm in the refrigeration buisness and we install tubing in sub slabs of freezers to protect the ground from freezing. On a current job, we need to locate the tubes we just installed so "bollards" can be installed thru the sub slab. What do you guys use to find your tubing?
This system is now full of glycol and can be circulated but our heat source will not be any warmer than the floor is right now (about 55 degrees).

Comments

• Art Pittaway
    Art Pittaway Member Posts: 230
    Options
    The best way

I know is to find a way to turn the heat up. Cold floor crayon or marker and a mop. Wet the floor, turn on the heat and watch it. As the floor above the hose starts to dry in stripes, mark it. I think you will need more than 55* though.
  • Wayco Wayne
    Wayco Wayne Member Posts: 615
    Options
    I've

hired an infrared expert. Run warm water through the tubes and look through his camera and you will be able to see the tubes. Pretty cool toy. (very expensive, I checked)

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Dave_8
    Dave_8 Member Posts: 49
    Options

Art is right, the water method is probably the fastest and easiest but probably will not work @ 55*. However you can let the floor go cold for a day and then turn the heat back on and find the tubes with a hand held radiant thermometer. You can get these at most supply houses for under a hundred dollars and they have a thousand uses.
This discussion has been closed.