Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Saw this Hawk photo

Options
ScottMP
ScottMP Member Posts: 5,884
Guy was in his front yard and as I drove by I saw him taking pictures. On my way back he was still there and when I looked this hawk was sitting there letting everyone take his picture with his prize crow.

The HO actually told me a lady with a small boy stopped at his house and knocked on the door to tell him a hawk was killing a crow and could he break them up. " Its a predator... thats what they do lady".

scott

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=237&Step=30">To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"</A>

Comments

• steve gates
    steve gates Member Posts: 329
    Options

I don't see as well as I used to. Is he smiling?
  • J.C.A.
    J.C.A. Member Posts: 349
    Options
    Good answer !

Maybe the lady could buy some frozen crow for her" Audubon birdfeeder" ?

Saw a pile of crows flying in and out of the trees at the Physical Therapy office the other day . Told the therapist to watch the trees , there will be a Red Tail Hawk flying out soon , (like the one in the photo) . Lo and behold about 30 seconds later , there he was . (thinks I'm a genius?) . Have seen this happening for the last 15 years in this area . The one in the photo is just a baby !(front speckled breast isn't quite full enough to be mature) The end of DDT began the return of these majestic flying wonders to the area . Last weekend , I was going to see my brother in Newburyport , Ma. and saw a (another) Bald Eagle flying down the Merrimac River . 5 years ago this was unheard of in eastern Ma. . Chris

Welcome back to the area wonderous birds ! Chris
  • Steve Ebels
    Steve Ebels Member Posts: 904
    Options
    My son

Matthew, was ice fishing yesterday and had some luck. He and his buddy were jigging in the shanty and had two pike they had caught out on the ice about 20 yards away. They looked out the peep hole to check on the tip-ups and there sat a pair of bald eagles munching on the pike. They watched them off and on for 10-15 minutes until they had another flag go up and had to go outside to check it. The eagles came back several times during the day and laid waste to both of the pike. Both of which were over 24" long.
  • J.C.A.
    J.C.A. Member Posts: 349
    Options
    Steve,

Your in the Great Lakes reigion , but I don't remember quite where .
    Is this something that would be considered normal , or did they "start the comeback " to the reigion like they did here ?

The Baldies didn't start showing up until about 3 years ago here .When I go and visit my uncle in westen WA. , the things are getting to be like crows/ravens . I went on a charter fishing trip and the captain had one to feed everyday (showing off to the tourists) and it was tame !
    I hope that this isn't normal , but it IS good to see the national bird coming back to something that everyone will be able to get a chance to see in their lifetime .
    Cheers and happy holidays . Chris
  • kevin_5
    kevin_5 Member Posts: 308
    Options
    Hunting with hawks

I used to cut a lot of hay for a farmer I worked for. The grass was waist high, and the machine would cut a pretty wide swath a few inches from the ground and pile it in one narrow strip. It was great fun to watch the hawks hunt as mice and gophers etc... would run for cover after the machine went over them. Sometimes they would hit within a few yards of me. They would jump in the air with their prey, quickly disembowel it with their sharp beak, and away they'd go. A friend used to transport injured birds of prey for the "raptor recovery center". I got to handle different hawks and owls; even one golden eagle. Pretty amazing creatures. Kevin
  • paul lessard_3
    paul lessard_3 Member Posts: 186
    Options
    nice pet

when i heard the familliar thud on the french door i thought it to be just another bird with questionable eaysight .It turned out to be the bird you show in pitchure
    only smaller..less b.t.u . ..Had no choice after severall hours but to bring the poor hunter inside. It started to drink water after two days but would not touch the veggie buffet.when offered hot dogs she ate instantly..this continued for two weeks ,bird got stronger ,then died.
    hey scott do you scuba dive in your backyard?i do.
    also have you installed any vision munchkin systems
  • Jeff Lawrence_24
    Jeff Lawrence_24 Member Posts: 593
    Options
    Labor Day

A year ago, I was trying out the JetSki I had bought at a Boy Scout Fundraiser (my wife thought I was crazy for bidding on it). I took a break and let it idle while the rain beat down on me.

I looked up in a dead tree near the water line and saw a bald eagle! I sat there amazed, just watching it. The Corps of Engineers had set a couple of breeding pairs loose on a peninsula leased by the Boy Scouts. This Eagle was the offspring of one of the pair I found out later. Before this I had never seen our national bird free and wild, I had only seen them in captivity.

I was looking at it and a boat came up to ask me where a certain creek was. I answered them and then pointed out the Eagle. They sat there with me for a few minutes and marveled at the beautiful bird until it grew tired of being admired and flew away.

The best thing about this incident was the boat driver asked me the same question he had first asked. He had forgotten that he had asked before.

• Steve Ebels
    Steve Ebels Member Posts: 904
    Options
    Eagles

I can remember seeing them off and on when I was just a wee tad. They were mostly just passing through 25-30 years ago but now there are at least 5 nesting pairs here in Missaukee county, NW Lower Michigan. On map we're inbetween Cadillac and Houghton Lake about 7 miles south of M-55. There's a huge swamp in the north part of the county, probably covers 45-55 sq miles and I know there are at least 3 pairs in that. They are definitely more common now. They are opportunistic feeders and will glady help themselves to dead anything.

There used to be a pair that nested every year right along Interstate 27 north of Houghton Lake. People would stop and watch as they fed their chick(s) right along the highway. For some reason, known only to them, the DNR decided this was a bad thing and cut down the white pine the nest was in. It had been there for at least 20 years and must have weighed 1,000 pounds up in that big old tree.
  • Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Mike T., Swampeast MO Member Posts: 6,928
    Options
    Young hawks

Last summer got a frantic call from my store. Store cat had drug in "some kind of bird with big claws/beak."

Went there pronto. There was a big storm the evening before. Bird was beautiful but despite being unable to fly (only kind of flutter for short distances) it had been able to defend itself against my rather vicious store cat who has no problem with a modest-size rabbit.

First thought, "it looks like an immature falcon! Maybe the storm blew it in."

While searching the internet, the cat goes crazy outside--it's found another! Started looking around outside and found one more on the ground and one WAY up in a very tall tree--BIG nest nearby. Was actually able to catch the three that were "grounded!"

They weren't falcons (too bad) but Sharp-Shinned Hawks. Called a local vet who does animal rescues and was told, "they get kicked out of the nest and scrounge around on the ground for a few days before learning to fly well."

Took them there for vet to release in a more suitable location--not in town and not near my cat. I'm sure he would have eventually harrassed them to death...

• Cosmo
    Cosmo Member Posts: 159
    Options
    I have a hawk story

While I was in college there were alot of squirrels that lived on campus due to all the trees. One was very recognizable because of it's chopped off tail, the poor thing only had a 1 inch stub that fervently switched back and forth all the time. Well my fourth semester (mid february) I was feeding this suirrel some peanuts while I was waiting for my girlfriend to get out of class. Well the squirrel ("Stubby" as we all called him) finally had enough and was making his way up his tree and a big hawk swept down and picked up fat old Mr. Stubby, and took him up to a nearby tree. There were about twenty students with me watching when this happened and we all looked on with horror when we saw poor Mr. Stubby fall down into the snow when the hawk lost it's grip. The hawk flew down and kept feeding, staining the snow with blood. As beautiful as the hawk was, and knowing that it must eat we all felt bad for Mr. Stubby. Later I learned from one of my professors that he remembered seeing that squirrel four years ago for the first time. He was an old squirrel that probably would not have lasted long in the wild without having a constant source of easy nutrition from all the students feeding him nuts all the time. I still remember how excited I was to see the hawk up close, yet sad at the same time. Now (Later in life after I decided to continue in my father's footstep's in our business) it is sadly ironic how somehow I always manage to run over a squirrel at least once a year......

Casmo
    Dependable P.H.C. Inc.
This discussion has been closed.