Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Icing on Top

Options
Every since we have started having the Deep Freeze here in North Jersey.

I have noticed that I have some icicles hanging from the top of my chimney cap, which I have never noticed before.

I have a WM EG-45 gas steam boiler that was replaced 2 years ago, the boiler water level has stayed pretty constant and boiler has not called for any makeup water.

Since this is the first time I have ever noticed this, is this phenomena normal?
If it is not normal what could it be?

At first I thought that I may have a crack or leak in a boiler section, but the water level stays constant. ???

Thanks

Neil

Comments

• Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
    Options
    Blow Down

Have you "blown down" the water feeder/low water cutoff regularly? (Once a week in heating season for the first year of a steam boiler's new life), once a month thereafter in heating season, once every 2 weeks preferred. Dan has addressed commisioning steam boilers and proper "Blow Down" in his book "The Lost Art of Steam Heating" It's where the answers are.

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Neil Andrews
    Neil Andrews Member Posts: 14
    Options
    Blow down

Thanks for your reply Paul.

Blow down has been done regularly. I have a copy of Dan's book. I don't know if you mis-understood my question or concern.

The boiler water feed system is working properly. What I am concerned about is the icicles that are forming on the top of the chimney cap, which leads me to believe there may be water vapor escaping up the chimney.

Since my boilers water level is staying constant and the boiler is not taking on any makup water. I can assume the boiler does not have a hole or crack or leak in any of its sections.

If the boiler is not loosing water or steam up the chimney.
    Where is this water vapor that is forming into icicles coming from??

Thanks

Neil
  • Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Mike T., Swampeast MO Member Posts: 6,928
    Options
    Water is...

...a large portion of the product of combusion. Water vapor is what causes the concerns of condensation in the boiler/flue. While I haven't noticed icicles from chimney caps before it might be considered {normal} in extremely cold weather.

Am not sure about steam boilers, but the increases in efficiency of even plain cast iron boilers have made their use in large, unlined brick flues highly questionable. I believe venting a new boiler/furnace (even a non-condensing model) to an old flue is strictly against code in some areas. Old chimneys with one or more sides exposed to the weather are supposedly the most vulnerable--heat in the house proper helps somewhat with internal chimneys.
This discussion has been closed.