Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Smith Boiler questions (OYPH)

chuck shaw
chuck shaw Member Posts: 584
I have a customer, who purchased a house from a contractor. There was a Smith GV-2000 boiler installed. Since installation, (appx 25 mths ago) they have gone through 6 hot surface ignitors. The initial installer came back to the house, and changed the pitch on the venting (to drain towards vent termination), the vent is 3" stainless steel, there is a 4 x 3 reducer comming off the top of the boiler. I installed a by-pass loop as per the instruction manual (last spring). I thought condensation might be the problem, driping onto the ignitor. When I checked the HSI this morning, it read open on the OHMS meter. I changed it and it fired. This is the first time I have changed the HSI, and I was very careful handling it. I cant speak for the last man on the job. Has anyone had any experiance with a similar problem? The HSI I replaced, was a Norton 201, I was able to replace it with the same model. I dont know if this was the origianl equipment. If you need more infomation, I will be happy to give any that I can

thanks in advance,

Chuck Shaw

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=143&Step=30">To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"</A>

Comments

• HSI Problem

Hi Chuck

The Norton 201 is a 34 second igniter with 40 -400 ohms resitance.

1. Is the module a 34 second warm up module?

2. Check Voltage no more than 125 volts AC

3. How is the system cycling, short cycling can shorten the life of igniter. It should be cycling about 3 cycles per hour.

4. Make sure polarity is correct.

5. Is there any evidence of any high temperatures at the ceramic anything over 1000 degrees will damage the igniter.

6. Watch for contaminants, drywall dust, high humidity, fiberglass, other chemicals and bleaches.

7. Is this in a crawl space?

8. How is it mounted, if it is flat it tends to accumulate moisture, if possible turn it sideways and check to make sure you get good ignition.

9. Check amperage when the igniter is hot it should be no less than 4.25 and no more than 4.75.

Hope this helps. I have a Troubleshooting Guide that covers troubleshooting igniters.
  • chuck shaw
    chuck shaw Member Posts: 584
    Answers

Timmie,

In answer to your questions and some of my own

1)How/where do I check the time, for the 34 seconds

2)Voltage was at 117VAC this morning, I cant say about other times

3)I didn't check cycles per hour, under normal conditions

4)The wire plug was keyed, it could only go in one way

5)Old ceramic was dark and brittle, new one was a bit lighter in color,

6)Basement was very clean, no evidence of any contamiants

7)Full basement, no areas of crawl space

8)It is mounted flat, I will try to mount sideways, but there is a mounting plate, and this would change the original design

9)I did not check amperage, nor did I check OHMS on new ignitor

thanks for your time and information

Chuck Shaw

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • HSI

The Warm Up Time should be written on the module somewhere just make sure it is 34 seconds or more.

The fact that the old ceramic was dark and brittle tells me there may be a combustion problem or high temperature problem around that igniter. Was the old igniter you took out broken, if it was still intact and you did not get continuity tells me that the wires inside the ceramic may be getting unwelded from the igniter from high temperature. Make sure that igniter is only about 3/4 to 1" into the flame and about 1/4 to 1/2" above burner.
  • Bob Flanagan
    Bob Flanagan Member Posts: 3
    Smith Cast Iron Boilers

Chuck:

What is the model boiler we are talking about. Judging from the boiler description, I believe it is a GV-100, you had mentioned a GV-2000, we do not manufacture such a model. The GV-100 is a direct vent water boiler. Timmie has given you great advice. If you continue to have problems, please feel free to contact our Tech. Serv. Manager, Tom Ferrante at tferrante@mestek.com or call him at 413-564-5950.

Thanks,
    Bob Flanagan
    National Sales Manager
    Smith Cast Iron Boilers
    rflanagan@mestek.com
  • Dustyd1
    Dustyd1 Member Posts: 1
    Gv100

Canyou send me instructions on how to lean the boiler gas pass?

My smell has increased and the flame came out the bottom. Please letme know if it can be done with out taking the unit out

Rich
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,633
    Get a professional

to look at it immediately. The odor and flame coming out the bottom is a real problem and could be carbon monoxide.
  • Bob C._2
    Bob C._2 Member Posts: 33
    Igniters

Can I get a copy of troublshooting guide for igniters
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,633
    Bob C I sent you

an e-mail as to how to obtain troubleshooting procedures.
This discussion has been closed.