Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steam Question

Options
Henry_3
Henry_3 Member Posts: 6
Well-- I "fired up" the ReDesigned Dry System to the Now Wet System BUT I am concerned because the Radiators and the main Pipe took a MUCH LONGER TIME to heat than with the usual Dry Return System. Is Something Wrong here?? My radiator valves never even started to vent. I waited about ten minutes and decided to shut it down. Besides the solder joint at the beginning of the condensate branch pipe {just off the main heat pipe sprouted a leak. Is there any way I can braze my copper 1 1/4 fitting to the original black pipe stub using my turbo torch and maybe some mapp gas ???

Comments

• Dale_2
    Dale_2 Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Traditional steam versus Vapor

What is the difference between a traditional steam and a vapor steam system? What is the role of the Vaporstat?
  • DanW
    DanW Member Posts: 12
    Options
    where's the vent?

Sounds like you didn't vent what remains of your dry return, so all the air is being pushed through the rads. You need a vent where the dry return drops into the wet one.

I'd say you need a pipe threaded copper fitting to make that transition.
  • DanW
    DanW Member Posts: 12
    Options

Vapor systems let you run at much lower pressure. The Vaporstat is just a more sensitive pressuretrol with lower cutouts.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,344
    Options
    vents on vapor

there are usually trapping and venting differences -- vapor systems have one big main vent ('air eliminator') on the dry return near the boiler; no vents on radiators -- and there is a trap or some other contraption (emphasis on 'contraption'!) at the radiator outlet to let air and condensate out, but not steam.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
This discussion has been closed.