Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Home Depot proudly displays Weil-McLain's boiler - Dan H.

Options
2»

Comments

• DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,544
    Options
    Johnny

Mark is not ignorant, nor is he out of control; he's passionate. So are you.

We get along here on the Wall because we respect one another as professionals. Thank you for understanding that.

Onward.
    Retired and loving it.
  • johnny2
    johnny2 Member Posts: 13
    Options
    Got a ladder?

So it seems you have brought our profession down to the roofing guys level.

Please don't compare our business with a others. We should stand on our own, with or with a borrowed ladder.
  • johnny2
    Options
    Respect

I can appreciate his passion on this topic. I to was passionate then in an uncontrollable rage committed a crime.

Try telling that to the judge.

My point is Many consumers view your Wall and Mark pays good money to be on the contractor locator list. Does this make him qualified?

Point taken, I forgive Mark for his "Boiler Rage"

Thank You.
  • Online Sheriff \"Murph\"
    Options
    just keep adding feul....

maybe the fingers are pointing back !!
  • johnny2
    Options
    Sorry Murph

You are right.
    Can we continue in a professional manner?
  • DanHolohan
    Options
    I would

appreciate that. Thank you.
    Retired and loving it.
  • Mark Hunt
    Mark Hunt Member Posts: 4,909
    Options
    I promise

not to whip this up any further.

I read some posts at Groom Lake and realized that my post was starting to sound like someone over there. (Some of you know who I mean)

Sorry Steve if I got carried away.

A company that I worked at for 17 years got swallowed up by a consolidator and I watched the once great company decay into a pathetic mess. I still see these big box/name brand programs as yet another grab at the HVAC business.

Mark H

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Tony Conner
    Tony Conner Member Posts: 549
    Options
    All...

...I'm saying is, I've been around long enough to have heard any number of claims from those in a variety of industries. Not nearly all of those that "talk the talk", can "walk the walk". If you seriously believe that all of those who have taken the training with you will hit the same high standards claimed, I've got some bad news for you. If you think that the people setting this up have YOUR best interest at heart, I have some more bad news for you.

I strongly suspect that the happy, smiling, cheerful folks you've dealt with so far will soon be replaced by humourless accounting types who will be pretty grumpy that the return on their investment is not what somebodies spreadsheet indicated it would be.

I was a maintenance supervisor in industrial plants for a long time. What the sales guy and his glossy brochure claim is sometimes true. At least as often, reality is totally different. One of the last adventures I had (it wasn't my gig, I was basically called in to help out the lady from my company who had been suckered) was with a uniform company. The sales guys sang a great song - all the stuff they'd do for us, the wonderful service, blah-blah-blah. The reality was something less. The surley ex-con biker-type who actually DID the service was somewhat different than the smiling, non-threatening guy on the brochure cover. If you stayed on him, you'd usually get the bare minimum of what was promised. The reality was that if the route rep didn't cover "X" amount of territory & customers in a day, HIS supervisor would ream him. And if the route rep actually DID all of the things promised by the nicely groomed sales guys, he COULDN'T cover the customer base.
  • JohnNY1
    JohnNY1 Member Posts: 62
    Options
    Why is everyone so intimidated?

From what I've seen at the HDs around here (NYC), there isn't a single person in there who was going to hire me to work for them anyway.
    First of all, if they're in there, it's because they can't afford to pay me.

I CAN'T WAIT FOR PEOPLE WHO CAN'T PAY ME TO STOP CALLING ME.

Second, if they're buying a boiler or water heater at HD they already have a fireman to put it in next Saturday and Sunday.

Third, for a very short time I did water heater installations for the guy who sold them for Sears.
    You wanna know what a low-end customer is?
    Get involved in that one.

Profit? No.
    Carrot on a stick routine? Definitely.

There will always be customers and there will always be do-it-yourselfers.
    My job is to find and keep customers.

I couldn't give a damn who else does what to who or buys from what.

I wish I had a more eloquent way to convey this, but I'm just a New York City Licensed Master Plumber.

What do I know?
  • johnny2
    Options
    Let the consumer speak.

I think the end results to all these happens will be determined by the consumer. As Dan says "You can place your vote through purchases. The cosnusmer will place their vote the same.

Regardless of professional opinion, all of us have a stake in this industry. The way I see it, it will not matter either way, with the shortage of good technicains there is prenty of pie for eveybody.

My goal on all this was to explain not anger anyone. It is easy to bash a program when you do not know the intimate deatils. My best competitor is a well educated one who knows the facts and at least aknowledges time stands still for nobody.

It is a Big Buffet, the whole idea is eat only as much as you can handled and learn from these experiences.

I'm sure Mark H. means well and hope one day we might see eye to eye. For now though, I,m sure there is plenty to go around.

Johnny b
  • johnny2
    Options

Huh?
  • Mark Hunt
    Mark Hunt Member Posts: 4,909
    Options
  • johnny2
    Options

Just a "Professional" gesture.
  • leo g_19
    leo g_19 Member Posts: 1
    Options
    hey johnny

just a quicky here, if you were to contact the BBB in atlanta, you may find that home despot was "suspended" from that orginization just recently, because of their lack of customer follow-up.

as for me, it seems that most of my customers still prefer to deal with me and my wholesaler. something about warranty back-up and less hassle.....

leo g
  • John R. Hall
    John R. Hall Member Posts: 2,246
    Options
    Leo

Suspended from what organization?
  • Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    Options
    shame

on WM for associating themselves with a faceless, individuality-devoid conglomerate. Shame on them for targeting name recognition and slick marketing over individual contractor sales. You can put a happy face on this program and call it cute things like a "lead generator", but the fact remains that the general public will perceive it as a HD installation. Can you say "pandora's box"?

You won't catch this kid being "Homey's 'ho".

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • JOHN_6
    JOHN_6 Member Posts: 4
    Options
    Sour Grapes

Hey Prisco,
    "We have nothing to fear but fear itself".

If the industry (warm air and hydronic) alike stopped looking for opportunities, we would still be providing Radiant Heat through means of fire and large rocks.

It comes down to customer service and professionalism. Try it the next time you want to address your thoughts on the wall. We would all appreciate it.
    Thanks

John

• keith
    keith Member Posts: 224
    Options
    Respect

for Prisco is without boundries. He has always been there when called upon. John, I have met you several times and believe that you are a man of integrity as well. As far as the Home Depot debate goes, Me personally, keep it, I don't want anything to do with it. If you guy's have not figured it out yet, this is an opportunity for you guys to work for the local supply house. You see they control the leads. If they control the leads then they control the pricing. Good for them, bad for us. I personally have always supported the local supply houses when ever and where ever possible. If that is not good enough then so be it. If my fellow commercial contractors feel this type of policy is limited to the residential side of things, " Forget about it". Just got the shaft from a Industrial supplier of boilers. wentto the owner direct and sold around me. The fact that I offered to sell the job with him before he ever set foot in the place was not good enough. He felt it was his duty to disregard me or any other contractor as his ally in this venture. I will not go away without the manufactorer being made aware of his tactics.
  • DanHolohan
    Options
    This is now officially

the longest thread ever. Scott "Longest Thread" Milne no longer holds the title, and, sadly, must now relinquish the nickname.

As a replacement, I propose, Scott "We got the Porta-Potties Ready Out There In The YAAAAAD!" Milne.

Lads?
    Retired and loving it.
  • zeb_3
    zeb_3 Member Posts: 104
    Options
    Don't you think?

Don't you think the others competed w/ W-M for the spot in the big orange box? I find it hard to believe that Burnham, Peerless, etc. were not giving it a shot.
  • Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    Options
    if

anything, my already high opinion of Prisco has jumped even higher.

• Bill_14
    Bill_14 Member Posts: 345
    Options
    Look

what you started Dan...Wow!!

Bill
  • ScottMP
    ScottMP Member Posts: 5,884
    Options
    I've Lost

I feel dirty and betrayed.

I lost my title and to the HD argument no less.

My two cents.... ? Those who can DO. Those who can't let some else run their business.

Sales generater my rear end !!!!

More like sales controller !!!

Scott " back to chowda head " Milne

• DanHolohan
    Options
    Not sure

Here's some interesting feedback from customers who have used the various services:

http://www.planetfeedback.com/sharedLettersList/0,2941,103912-27-0-0-20-0-fb_date-desc,00.html

Retired and loving it.
  • DanHolohan
    Options
  • Online Sheriff \"Murph\"
    Options
    Dan \"longest threads\" holohan

See what you started with this post!! Back to "chowda head" eh?? wonder who thought that one up, hmmmmmm??

sheriff murph' (pool guard)
  • ScottMP
    Options
    That name

was bestowed upon me by Dan the Man himself.

Unlike that silly sherrif thing that YOU put on.

Oh Boy Friday night is gona be fun.

• ScottMP
    Options
    I did check it out

And that my friends is our competition. I am pretty scared and worried about my business .... NOT.

Hey as I said in another post nobody tells the good storys, and I am smart enough to know that not all jobs go this way. I am also smart enough to know that the very best do not have to work for some else. Call it what ever name you wish, the bottom line is someone else is in control.

Scott

• DanHolohan
    Options
    This just in!

;-)
    Retired and loving it.
  • ScottMP
    Options
    You have not lost

your Irish wit .....

ahhhhaahhahhahahh.

I love it.

• Unknown
    Options
    If you look REAL closley, you can see the contractor

in the van in the background just waiting to see where they go with this project....
  • Steve Minnich_1
    Steve Minnich_1 Member Posts: 127
    Options
    LONGEST THREAD??

Are you sure Dan?

I thought Stevie's from a couple of years ago would still be.

We have three HUGE 3-ring binders from the donation posts.

Nice talking to you. Hope all is well.

Steve

• DanHolohan
    Options
    Thanks for stopping by

Don't be a stranger.
    Retired and loving it.
  • keith
    keith Member Posts: 224
    Options
    dont they offer

cutting of black pipe as a service to the industry at the big box? They could cut some 2" black nipples and use them as lolly columns inside the sedan.
This discussion has been closed.